Premed 101 Forums

BC Student Loans

Guest Dr Love

Guest Dr Love

I am a BC resident, going to school in Alberta, and I see some of my albertan friends getting huge student loans (upwards of $18,000 including bursaries). I have paid my way through two degrees (BSc and MSc) but now that I have been accepted to med school (U of A) I realize that i am going to need some large loans (or lines of credit). I am just wondering what the maximum amount that anyone on the board has received to go to med school.

Thanks

Guest ssup

I'm wondering whether anyone can tell me where we apply for these loans. Will they give loans to BC residents going out of the province to study med (ex. Ontario)? How much can you get and are these interest-free loans?

Guest Dr Love

It's a real pain in the butt. you have to go online www.aved.gov.bc.ca/studentservices/ or phone and they will send you an application (about 2 weeks) then you have to send your application to the university you plan to attend (so they can verify that you are attending there), then you have to send the application back to BC, and from what I understand the most you can receive is 9,000/year (not even enough to cover tuition)

If you find anything else out let me know

Archived