Premed 101 Forums

reference letters Please Help~

Guest UBC student

Guest UBC student

Im just wondering if there is a standard form that the reference letters need to be written in or if we can just ask our referee to use the regular letter sized paper to write/type the letter.

Thank you in advance

Guest canstowski

First, you don't need reference letter until you are invited for an interview. Secondly, they will give you a specific form (academic, community, personal) for your referee. At the back of each form is a box where your referee can put extra comments in.

Guest canstowski

last year, we get them along with the application package but i dunno how it works this year. They probably won't release it until candidates are invited for interviews. I think you should worry about getting your referees instead of the actual form. Remember, one academic, one community, one personal.

This might sound like a dumb question, but who are some examples as a personal referee?

Would a high school teacher who's now a friend be considered as a personal referee?

EMHC

Guest not rex morgan

Yeah, your example would count. Actually, that's exactly what I did use the year I got in. Of course this was an English teacher, so the letter was presumably well-written ;)

Guest monksters

When I thought about my references, I wanted to make sure that the person knew me well enough to answer the questions. I chose a previous work supervisor for my personal reference because I worked closely with him during some trying projects. We got to know each other but at the same time since he was my supervisor, there was still a degree of objectivity.

I'm not entirely sure but I think UBC has recommended not having family friends as references in the past....

Guest Pucca81

I believe that the applicants for this year are actually lucky not have to worry about references yet! hourray!;)

I was thinking "really" hard about who should write my 'personal reference' letter too and here is my advice. You want the different referees to say 'different' things about you rather than keep on repeating "she/he's intelligent, caring, yadi yadi ya." So for instance, assume that your 'academic' referee will probably talk about how bright, curious, etc. you are and that your 'community service referee' will probably say something about whether you were punctual, honest, caring, etc. NOW... for the "personal" referee, wouldn't you want something different/unique to be said about you? For example, I asked a deacon at my church to be my personal referee... why? Because he knew me in a different context as the others... so he was able to say things that others probably didn't... (e.g. my sense of humour, optmistic personality) etc.

I don't see why your personal referee could not be your high school teacher who's now your friend. In fact, I think that will be very positive! My personal referee (the deacon at my church) is my spritual leader but also a "friend", for instance.

As for asking a family friend: Well, you can't just ask a 'family friend who is a doctor' if you have not actually done some kind of an extrcurricular activity with or under him/her. For instance, I know people who have asked a familiy friend who is a doctor who was ALSO their soccer coach, fellow softball teamate, etc...

Hope this helps... =)

Guest canstowski

Oh you just go to the volunteering office (at purdy's pavillion i think) and talk to someone name Gilbert (not gil-bert but gill-bear, u know the french pronounciation). They need volunteers all year around and i'm sure you can get into one. (u may have to wait half a year or so)

I've volunteered in a couple of positions as you can switched from time to time. I've done bus trips and breakfast groups. I've also done asian cooking at VGH. The volunteering system is linked between VGH and UBC so i accumulated my hours at both hospitals together. If you want to volunteer at VGH, you should talk to someone name Dianne Denson.

Hope this helps.

Is there a volunteering position in the ER? Is there an ER at the UBC hospital? I know there is one at VGH (duh) but I'm pretty sure they don't allow volunteering in there.

Would you have a number I handy that I could call? Thanks in advance.

EMHC

Guest Pucca81

*Community service referee*

I asked a co-ordinator of the youth council that I was involved with to be my community service referee. As of last year, it was okay to ask either a co-volunteer or a co-ordinator/leader of any type of volunteering/community service opportunity you had in the past. From my understanding, the longer the person has known you, the better. But don't worry about referees right now~!

*About volunteering at UBC hospital/VGH*

It looks like cantowski had a really positive experience there. As I understand, the experience can REALLY differ depending on the volunteering position. I have many wonderful friends who genuinely love volunteering who have actually had {very} bad experience in the emergency department. They told me that they felt really useless because most people in the emergency room didn't want them around (including the staff sometimes) and they felt like they weren't doing something "meaningful". Every single person I have talked to (~9) who has volunteered in the emergency ward told me the exact same thing. BUT, those who volunteer in senior homes, or in specific programs (bingo, coffee break, etc.) within the hospitals have had VERY positive, rewarding experience. So, please, really look into where you want to volunteer. Given that you have limited time to commit for volunteering experience, you mind has well do something that not only you can enjoy but where others can find you helpful too ;)

pucca81:

So premeds can volunteer in the ER at VGH or the UBC hospital? Thing is, I'm volunteering in the ER at RGH since its a small community hospital. On the other hand, VGH is where you get all the other things like a major stroke or severe traumatic injuries, so I thought VGH had too much on hand then to let a volunteer hang around and see what's going on. Maybe you could enlighten me on this?

I've personally had bad experiences and good experiences when volunteering in the ER. The doctors are all really nice and even though some may never say a word, if you start talking to them and stuff they're actually really nice. Nurses are pretty nice too, but some of them are really really really *@*### >:

Has this been the case for any of you who've been volunteering in the ER?

And yes, volunteering at a senior home is a great experience and everyone is so kind, but the thing is things are sort of in slow motion. In the ER, although its relatively slow a some times, it can get quite exciting and the atmosphere that you're in gives you a good sense of how medical staff work and the things that they're faced with, which gives me a good idea of what I want to get into.

EMHC

Guest canstowski

i agree with Pucca totally. Volunteering at senior homes is definitely better. You get to interact with patients, help out your supervisor and sometimes do neat shopping trips, birthday parties, canada day bbq, etc. I haven't volunteered at the emergency ward but i also have friends having negative comments about it.

I lost the number for UBC hospital volunteering but i do have the VGH number. 875-5277 or 875-4604. I forgot why i have 2 numbers for VGH but do give it a shot :rollin

Hi!

I volunteer at VGH and I love my position. I'm in the renal dialysis unit, for 1 day a week, for 3 hours. It's great because the same patients are there every week, so I get to know them really well. Basically I just offer some entertainment/companionship/conversation while they are dialysing. The nurses and doctors are great and really friendly.

There is usually a volunteer information session once a month, and that's probably the easiest way to get started.

Archived