Premed 101 Forums

ubc have quotas for how many asians they can accept?

Guest Jazz

Can someone clarify this for me. I had a conversation with a social worker today, when I told him I applied for med, he said the chances are the smallest for Asian males, and best for white females because UBC sets quotas for how many students of each race/sex they'll accept. It's suppose to be some rule within the department that's not made public.

Guest Ian Wong

Not true. This is one of those urban myths that gets perpetuated by disgruntled applicants. Unfortunately, when you get 800 well-qualified applicants, and only accept 128 of them, you are going to piss a lot of those people off.

Ian

UBC, Med 4

Guest Ian Wong

There's at least 30 Asians in my class of 120. I don't know about any of the other classes, but there's a lot of us folks running around the campuses.

Ian

UBC, Med 4

Ian,

Your website is so great!

You said there are at least 30 Asians in your class...so it's like 25%. But when you look around the UBC campus or SFU, there are obviously more than 25% who are Asians. But I guess the proportion of Asians in the whole campus can't predict how many Asians can get into medical school. Last week in Vancouver Sun, a report said that now in Greater Vancouver, 37% identified themselves as "visible minority" groups! In Vancouver, 3 in 10 are Chinese and in Richmond, 4 in 10 are Chinese.

Archived