Premed 101 Forums

Housing

Guest Jazzey

Guest Jazzey

Hi,

As someone coming to Vancouver from out of province, I'm wondering where most med students live. Are there many who live in the on-campus housing? Has anyone who tried them found them to be comfortable, quiet and independent?

Finding an affordable apartment in Vancouver that is reasonably priced and close to campus without really knowing the city is somewhat of a difficult task :\ and I'd appreciate any tips! Thanks in advance!

Guest thatuvicguy

Hey Jazzey,

Have you signed up for the Student Affairs bulletin board? If not I recommend doing so since there has been some good info on finances and a little bit on housing as well.

I got some great info from Victoria Lambert when I inquired about family housing at UBC. She said on-campus housing is useful for 1st year but that's about it since much of 2nd year is spent at VGH and then who knows for 3rd & 4th year. Given the waitlists for on-campus family housing, it's not even worth it. I think the situation is different for single students however since UBC Med has ~40 spots reserved I think (these may be for NMP & IMP students for this first 4 months - I'm not sure about this).

She told me that the ideal location for is somewhere between VGH and UBC. As for affordability, yeah, it looks like things are pretty pricey...

Not sure if that helps at all but thought I would share.

Cheers,

thatuvicguy

Guest not rex morgan

Having just graduated and am now packing up to leave, I guess I could give some advice. I don't know if you specifically need family housing, but there is family housing around VGH. There's also alot of regular rental housing around VGH. The advantage of that area is that you're there alot in second year as Victoria told you. You will also likely need access to it in your clerkship year at some point. One nice thing is that if you live around the hospital in first year, you can get on the interhospital shuttle, and take it to UBC hospital for free. I lived a bit too far west to take advantage of the shuttle, so I ended up driving alot.

On campas housing...I don't know. I know a couple of dental students who lived in Gage Towers in first year, but the place really is a party house and they were happy to get out. There is always the more mature housing developments, like Thunderbird if you are are really stuck on being on campas.

I'd say most people really do live in the VGH or kits area.

Hope that helps.

Guest Jochi1543

Hey, I just wanted to let you know that I have asked some similar questions in this forum recently (I'm immigrating to Canada, BC, from the States), so just browse the most recent 3-4 pages for my threads about Vancouver....a lot of people provided helpful tips on what areas I should look for when moving, etc.

Guest hmmz

Hey - i've seen some adds for some good 2 bedrooms... i'm going to be entering ubc med this upcoming september. If anyone is looking for a roommate then let me know... or if anyone knows of some good 1 bdrms then please tell.

Guest Jazzey

Thanks very much to all! This info is helpful.

I'm arriving in Vancouver solo (no family in tow) so like hmmz, I'm in the situation of looking for a single or to split a place with a roommate.

Guest moxiekat

I'm also looking for a roomate (female please ;-) entering first year meds. I am in VFP. Out of province is cool too, cus I live in Vancouver and am more than happy to house hunt. If anyone is interested, or knows someone who is, please let me know.

Also - I am 24, and would love to live with someone who works hard but enjoys to play hard too! My email is eemorley@hotmail.com

Guest nathiam

Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum. Also looking for a roomate. I am in the IMP though, and will need to find a place for only the first 4 months -- would love to share a place with some focussed and hard working person(s) in either the NMP or the IMP.

I am a married male, 27. Would prefer to live with older, clean, non-partying males, but potential female roomates are a possibility -- with the permission of my wife of course :lol .

I can be reached by email...

mculp "at" uvic.ca

Guest nathiam

I should clarify -- my wife will still be in Victoria. I will be in Van without her for those 4 months. To cut the rent cost, I would love to share a place...

Archived