Premed 101 Forums

*Contents of autobiography

Guest Ian Wong

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*Simon Chiu, UG3

Date:***9/17/2000 7:06 pm*PST

Hello,

Does anyone know what I should definitely include in the UBC essay? I have written several drafts, but still feel unsure. I have modelled my UBC essay after the U of T essay requirements (see http://www.ouac.on.ca for more info). Is that sufficient? The U of T one requires

-experiences that influenced your decision to pursue med

-how have you been motivated to self-learn

-personal skils and abilities

-what challenges do you expect to face in meds, etc.

-ethical dilemmas in meds u expect to face

-why are you a good candidate?

Thanks

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*Ian Wong, MS2

Date:***9/18/2000 5:57 pm*PST

Hi Simon,

Unfortunately, my sense of appropriateness doesn't allow me to give you any direct advice here. This is the same reason I keep the interview advice on my site very short; I don't think this is an area that I can tell you much about.

What you should keep in mind is this: This is UBC's first look at your non-academic side. Anything you have done that makes you unique, any experiences, travels, and jobs are fair game. The admissions committee is looking to see if you have the personal background to match your academic capabilities, as both are important characteristics of a doctor. Don't be humble, and downplay your qualities. If you don't mention it, we don't know it, and can't use it to select you.

Your last point pretty much says it all: "Why are you a good candidate?" "Why should we select you over the next applicant?"

Anything that fits the above criteria is fair game for inclusion in the autobiography.

Ian

Can, MS2

PS: I haven't seen this year's application form, but make sure that you answer all points requested of you in the essay section.

Archived