Premed 101 Forums

*UBC's English Requirement for Ontarians

Guest Ian Wong

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*confused in ontario

Date:***8/22/2000 9:07 pm*PST

Hi! I am considering applying to UBC this fall however I am not sure what exactly the english requirement is. I have a full year university english course but on the UBC aplication form 2 english courses are listed. Being an ontario student I also have an OAC in English. Does it count for anything? I've read some pretty scary stats on getting into ubc from out of province ie. you need over 94% average and they interview VERY few out of province students. Do us out of province students actually have a chance? What gpa and mcats do out of province students need to be competitive? Thanks for any info!

p.s. i used the gold standard to study for my mcats this past saturday. It seemed to cover all the needed topics in detail. The gold standard tests and the AAMC practice tests really helped to get a feel for what it would be like, although I seemed to have plenty of leftover time on the practice items and barely enough time on the actual mcat

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*Ian Wong

Date:***8/23/2000 11:01 am*PST

The full year English course should suffice for your application. The English courses listed on the UBC website refer to two half-year first year English courses. In addition, should that not work, your OAC will allow you to take an English exemption test.

As for getting in as an out-of-province student; the Class of 2003 (my class) has exactly 0 out of 120 students who are out of province. UBC is quite stingy in this regard. However, I should mention that UBC did accept 5 out-of-province students in our year, but none of them accepted our offer. My conclusion is that if you are "good enough" (and who knows what that really means...) to get into UBC as an out-of-province student, you'll be good enough to get into an in-province med school as well.

As for the GPA's and MCAT's, I really couldn't give you an idea. Going by my class's 1999 admissions stats 5 applicants were offered admission, while 137 were rejected. In province, 120 were accepted while 326 were rejected.

You'll have to decide for yourself whether you want to apply. It is a good school, and is set in a stunningly beautiful city.

Ian

Can, MS2

Archived