Premed 101 Forums

admissions office behind

Guest GI Jenie

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there GI Jenie,

Did you mean that they're planning on sending out interview invitations until March's end? I still haven't heard a peep from them, so I'm a bit interested. ;)

Cheers for your trepidation,

Kirsteen

Guest GI Jenie

Hi Kirsteen,

Yes, you understood correctly. The letters of regret will be going out mid March and it will take them until the end of March for them to contact all applicants that qualify for interviews.

This waiting really sucks.

What are your plans for next year if you don't get in? I'm seriously considering doing a Master's myself, but I'm not sure how useful that will be....

GI Jenie

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there GI Jenie,

Thanks for the clarification. I guess that means that UBC may be holding some interviews in April then? Woo.

Do you know which area you'd go towards if you decided to pursue a Masters next year? Why do you not think that the Masters degree would be useful? Do you not think that research would be up your alley?

On this end, no matter when I actually end up finishing my M.Sc., I've got lots of neat little, related projects that I would like to pursue and complete (which I've been told, would broaden my M.Sc. too much if pursued under that umbrella). I'd also consider taking some additional clinical epidemiology courses, as they're so darn interesting, useful and informative, and attend a bunch of conferences to make more contacts in the field, disseminate the findings and hear peoples' ideas. I think I'll also apply to a few more MD/PhD programs next year (I applied only to the MD programs this year) as I really enjoy the research and see a lot of utility for it, even though there are not that many folk doing what I'd like to eventually be doing. Lastly, I'd really like to pursue this jazz vocal hobby a little more, finally get around to painting a few ideas that I've had for a while on canvas, and learn some first aid (since I chopped part of my finger off while making a biryani in January and less clue than I should have of what I should have been doing to stop my kitchen from looking like a Texas Chainsaw Massacre outtake). So there you go, some plans in a not so small nutshell!

Good luck this year though,

Kirsteen

Guest QCnut

Kirsteen,

what a great post - - just reminded me of the nine thousand things I can do this year instead of moping about!

also (not like I carry any weight, but) I feel quite sure that you will be at a med school this fall. you seem like an ideal applicant.

qc

Kirsteen,

why you haven't been grabbed up by any medical schools yet is beyond me...judging by your posts, you seem articulate, well-rounded and insightful...

Goes to show that there's absolutely no method to this madness!

Good luck this year! By the way, how many interviews did you receive?

Ssup

Guest Kirsteen

Hey ssup,

If you haven't read about the Kirsteen-saga already, please have a wee poke into one of the other arenas in here for a darn good reason, and some method to the apparent "madness"! :P

I've yet to receive an interview, and UBC is my final hope. As I've mentioned previously, however, although it would be just brilliant to be in some of your shoes and have that meds acceptance pinned to my wall and present in my grin, and it would certainly alleviate the fear of not receiving an acceptance sometime in the future, this is going to be one heck of a busy and very productive year and I'm gaining a lot by tackling it all. By no means do I feel a wee bit teary because life is on hold; at the moment it's just moving quickly along in a different way.

Where have you/will you be interviewing this year? Is UBC high on your "hopes" list?

Cheers, and good luck to you,

Kirsteen

Kirsteen,

It's refreshing to hear that you have so much planned in case med doesn't work out this year...you've got me thinking of my own back-up plans now. Well I'll keep my fingers crossed that UBC invites you for an interview...

So far, I've only interviewed at UBC but I have interviews at U of C and U of T at the end of this month. Still waiting to hear from U of A (from what I understand, 3rd year OOP applicants are interviewed in may/june so there's still hope!)

UBC is definitely my #1 choice...my interviews seem to have gone pretty well but I'm a bit speculative of my chances considering I'm a 3rd year student still. No worries though...if not this year, we'll be back at it next year! Might give me some more time to gain some lab experience as well as to take some courses I've wanted to but haven't had the time yet...

Good luck to you (and the rest of the ppl reading this)

Ssup

Guest Kirsteen

Hey there ssup,

Thanks for sharing your interview-to-be status. Best of luck with them all, and hopefully Toronto isn't its bloody chilly, minus 33C self (as it was today), when you get here!

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest GI Jenie

Hey Kirsteen,

If I do a Master's degree it will be in Pathology as my current boss (who has offered to be my supervisor) is a professor in Pathology. Within that realm, my project will likely be focusing on lung cancer, but I'm not yet sure what my project will be so I can't get more specific then this.

Certainly, if I choose to do a Masters, I will be doing it to help boost up my GPA and to get some extra points with UBC for having a graduate degree. Right now I'm a research technician and while I enjoy research it's not something that I see myself doing in the long term - I really, really like working directly with people. That said, I realise how well a bit of research experience will prepare me for the challenges of a physician (ie...it will help me further develop my both my critical and lateral thought processes). However, everything comes at a cost, and doing a masters degree will time and money. I'm concerned that I'll do a master's degree and still not get in, and then will have a masters degree that I'm not sure I'll use for any other purpose. Also, not that I'm ready to start popping out the kids yet, but the clock is still ticking. I don't want to go to delay medical school too much because then I'm pushing things like having children ahead quite a bit....and I don't want to find myself 35 years old when I'm having my first kids. Not that anything is wrong with that, but if you end up having problems conceiving then could be hooped. I know I'm panicking, but I'm just trying to be realistic and plan for the future too.

So....while I wouldn't mind doing a masters degree now, I really really just want to get into med now and save myself two years.

Just so torn! :eek

GI JENIE

Guest Kirsteen

Hey there GI Jenie,

It's always grand if you pursue a Masters in something you like. It's really not like undergrad at all--it's an experience that's much more self-propelled--so you've really got to like what you're studying to enjoy the overall experience.

You mentioned your desire and love of working with people, so have you considered a Masters that is not basic science? There's Epidemiology, but there are a bunch of other disciplines that also get you out and working with groups of people.

Good luck!

Kirsteen

Archived