Premed 101 Forums

MCAT!!!

Guest Ibraheem

Guest Ibraheem

I was wondering about how many times can we write the MCAT? Do we have to write it every year for every application we send to different med schools. How many times do we apply to the same med school, how many med schools should we apply to?

Guest JSS02
I was wondering about how many times can we write the MCAT?

I don't know if it has changed recently, but when I wrote it 2 years ago, you could write the MCAT as many times as you want. However, once you have written it 3 times you need some sort of proof you've applied to med school (e.g. a rejection letter) before they'll let you write it again.

Do we have to write it every year for every application we send to different med schools.

No, you do not write the MCAT for each time you apply to med school. If you do well enough the first time you can keep your scores and use them again. They usually last for a few years (exact # depends on the specific school).

How many times do we apply to the same med school, how many med schools should we apply to?

Many schools let you apply as many times as you want. As for the number you should apply to, it really depends on several factors... how far away are you willing to go away to attend med school? How many schools have a program that you think you'd fit in well with? Which schools do you have the GPA, MCAT, and course requirements for? How much money can you afford to spend on the application process? Application fees, travelling costs like flights, train rides and hotels, etc. really add up fast. I think in the States people apply to over 10 schools on average. Here in Ontario many people apply to all 5 schools, but again, that's by no means a rule.

Archived