Premed 101 Forums

MCAT prep courses. Opinions?

Guest mindteaser

Guest mindteaser

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone here took any of those MCAT prep courses. I heard that some school provide you with the past tests and some don't. Would you know which one that is? Also, aside from the Gold Standard book suggested by Ian, is there any other book I should consider?

I've asked around and most people say it takes in general 4-5 months to prepare for the test. I will also be working and taking summer school this year. Would this still leave me with enough time to prepare?

Thanks in advance for all your help.:)

Edited the title to remove the all-caps. -Ian

Guest Chieka

I think you'll have time; the key is to know how to study and how to manage your time.

I didn't take a prep course, and I think it's possible to do well without one. Others have suggested getting the course books, though, and I agree that this will help bring focus to your studying.

I think you'll probably find more information in the MCAT forum on this site.

C.

Guest Nightrider

Last summer I had a full-time research job (NSERC), a part-time lifeguarding job, a volunteer job, and I was studying for the MCAT. I didn't take a course (I had no time to!!!), but I had several friends who did. I started studying in May for the August MCAT, and just used materials from their website and ordered the sample MCATs the AAMC sells. My friends and I all ended up doing very well on the MCAT.

So...the moral of the story is that it is DEFINITELY possible to do well on the MCAT if you are busy, but whether or not you take a course is completely a personal decision. Good luck!

Guest DalHopeful

Hey.. I took Princeton Review last summer and I also had an NSERC summer grant. I found that I had plenty of time to study and do research, but not for much else.

The review courses are great for keeping you on track. I find that people in general cannot study (honestly) for 4-5 months before a one day test. However, the courses force you to keep up (unless you don't care about getting questions wrong in class). Also, there is so much prep material that is practically impossible to complete. But Im confident that if you did *every* question in the books you will do fine.

If you KNOW that you can pace yourself and be diligent with your studies then just buy the course books. If not take the course. Oh yeah, the courses are VERY expensive ($1300)... so that might factor into your decision as well.

It worked out well for me.

Good luck.

Guest therealcrackers

The differential diagnosis on Prep courses, based on your attributes...

Procrastinator; do better with didactic lectures; didn't get a lot out of practice books on your own; written before, didn't do well, want strategies for improvement; never written before, want practice on test-taking strategies; take a long time to write MCQ tests ---- take a course.

Independent studier; lotsa background material in undergraduate courses; get a lot out of practice question books; fast writing MCQ tests; written before, know what you have to cover to do better; never written before, relatively comfortable with test-taking strategies; unlikely/unable/unwilling to come up with $1000+ ---- get practice books, friends, and study on your own.

NB. THE PREVIOUS IS A SUBJECTIVE VIEWPOINT OF THE POTENTIAL VALUE OF TAKING A PREP COURSE. YOUR OPINION MAY VARY, AND IS OF ITSELF VALUABLE UNTO YOU. I DID not TAKE A PREP COURSE, BUT SEVERAL OF MY FRIENDS DID, AND SEVERAL OF THEM WERE ALSO INSTRUCTORS.

Archived