Premed 101 Forums

Planning electives for "competitive" specialties

Guest BCgirl

Guest BCgirl

So, I'm pretty much finished planning my electives, but I still have a few more weeks to fill up. For those of you planning on entering "competitive" specialties (for example, ophtho, ENT, plastics, etc), what are your thoughts on doing all of your electives in one specialty? I would like to do a variety of electives, but I want to maximize my chances of matching... do programs "look down" upon people that don't have much variety?

• 8 months later...
So, I'm pretty much finished planning my electives, but I still have a few more weeks to fill up. For those of you planning on entering "competitive" specialties (for example, ophtho, ENT, plastics, etc), what are your thoughts on doing all of your electives in one specialty? I would like to do a variety of electives, but I want to maximize my chances of matching... do programs "look down" upon people that don't have much variety?

Hi,

Within the CaRMS site, many programs specifically note that they are "...looking for and rewarding applicants who have completed a broad range of electives." So as has been noted on another thread somewhere, it might be in your best interests to choose some electives within a different, yet related, field as the one of interest to you. For example, if Plastics is what you want then you might have a look at Neuro or even an Ortho elective in hand surgery.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Hey Kirsteen,

What would be your suggestion for someone interested in radiology?

nuc med? rad onc? medicine (and what field?)?

noncestvrai

Hi,

Assuming that the applicant has done well in their General Surgery and General Internal Medicine rotations (I've heard from a few people now that these are important rotations in which to do well) then Nuc Med seems like a good choice given that training in Nucs is often offered as part of a Radiology residency. One of the branches of Internal Med that is also more natural of a choice (due to its heavy reliance on imaging) is pulmonary. Ortho also uses a lot of imaging... If Interventional Rads is of interest then there are a number of other related fields as well, e.g., Vascular Surgery, Neurology...

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Hey Kirsteen --

It's funny to get a reply after all my electives are over :) I used to be "BCgirl" but this is my new user name. I remember talking to you back before even applying to med school... how time flies!

Anyway, I ended up doing most of my electives in the field I'm applying to with a gen surg rotation thrown in for a bit of variety.

I managed to see 4 programs (5 counting gen surg), which is great (in my opinion). Now I know 4 programs way better than I ever would by just seeing them on interviews or during a site visit. I guess one of the downsides of doing a variety of electives is that you don't get to know many programs very well.

I've heard rumblings of mandatory diversification of electives (i.e. Pre-CaRMS electives in at least 2-3? fields)... anyone know if that's going to be reality?

Best of luck!

Hey Kirsteen --

It's funny to get a reply after all my electives are over :) I used to be "BCgirl" but this is my new user name. I remember talking to you back before even applying to med school... how time flies!

Anyway, I ended up doing most of my electives in the field I'm applying to with a gen surg rotation thrown in for a bit of variety.

I managed to see 4 programs (5 counting gen surg), which is great (in my opinion). Now I know 4 programs way better than I ever would by just seeing them on interviews or during a site visit. I guess one of the downsides of doing a variety of electives is that you don't get to know many programs very well.

I've heard rumblings of mandatory diversification of electives (i.e. Pre-CaRMS electives in at least 2-3? fields)... anyone know if that's going to be reality?

Best of luck!

Well there you go! :)

Although not Gen Surg, what is your primary career choice now?

As for mandatory diversification of electives, it has been instituted for the most recent classes at some medical schools.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

UWO needs some diversity, from at least 2 different areas (min 2 weeks). Ie. General surgery, plastic surgery and ob/gyn would be in the same surgical category, but ob/gyn, radiology, family and paediatrics would all be in separate categories. All of our electives are pre-CaRMS, post-clerkship (16 weeks).

Archived