Premed 101 Forums

Clinical Practice Guidelines

Guest Ian Wong

Guest Ian Wong

Here's a link to an index of Clinical Practice Guidelines put out by the BC government. In essence, a CPG is supposed to be an evidence-based protocol or decision-tree which guides clinicians towards what the "next step" should be in the treatment of your patient.

These CPG's are supposed to standardize one's approach to a clinical problem, while ensuring that a critical step is not omitted, nor are excessive or inappropriate tests ordered. I'm currently not able to download any of the .pdf files on it, but hopefully they'll come back online soon. Worth taking a look at, as knowing what to do next in a given situation is something that is constantly evolving.

www.hlth.gov.bc.ca/msp/protoguides/index

Ian

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jmh2005

Thanks for the link Ian...looks great and very useful (I have yet to attempt to download anything yet, so not sure if everything is working...)!!!

Good luck with step 2!!

Jess

Guest DrSahsi

I download a bunch of CPGs from BC and from Alberta, as well as gleaning other stuff from the CMA infobase, in preparation for the CCFP licensing examination. Very useful material!

If you're looking for Canadian guidelines, it's also useful to search for them on the CMAJ website. The Canadian Paediatric Society also has some useful paeds guidelines online.

Buyer beware! Practice Guidelines are just that, guidelines, based on available evidence but usually heavily opinion-based/biased as well. You'll see this as you compare guidelines from different sources -- often groups with slighty different agendas. It can be fun to watch, but frustrating when you're trying to figure out the next "right thing" to do.

- Rupinder

• 2 years later...

Archived