Premed 101 Forums

Diagnostic Kits

Guest sehender

Guest sehender

Us UBC medical students have been told that diagnostic instruments will NOT be provided during our OSCE exams. I need help, cause we're supposed to buy instruments and I am not sure what I should buy and from what company. We had reps from Heine and Welch & Allen come and talk to us about how fabulous their kits are a few nights ago. Seeing that I had never used a diagnostic instrument before I was trying instruments out with great confusion. Everyone in my class seems to be in the same boat and we're all pretty much looking around to buy a diagnostic kit. Can anyone recommend what brand to buy as well as whether I should buy a hard case or soft case for the kit? Is bigger better? Or should I buy a 'mini' diagnostic kit (these are about 1/2 the price of a regular sized kit!)? I've seen previous posts and have certainly decided to stay away from the Panoptic Scope. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! Also, our order forms are supposed to be in by no later than 12pm on Monday Sept. 13th. So, if I could get the advice soon that would be the best!!

Thanks guys!!

• 8 months later...
Guest Unknown

</username>
		<dateline>1117554540</dateline>
		<title>Unknown</title>
		<pagetext>(This

(This post is missing and can not be restored)</pagetext>

</post>

<post>

<thread>Y</thread>

<threadtitle>USMLE Textbooks</threadtitle>

<threadviews>0</threadviews>

<threadsticky>0</threadsticky>

<poll></poll>

<username>EJL</username>

<dateline>1106689380</dateline>

<title>USMLE Textbooks</title>

<pagetext>Does anyone have any suggestions for USMLE Step I textbooks? I know that first aid is good, and it's also good to get some of the Kaplan questions from their question bank, but aside from that, what other books should I be using?

EJL

Guest Unknown

</username>
		<dateline>1117562940</dateline>
		<title>Unknown</title>
		<pagetext>(This

</post>

<post>

<thread>Y</thread>

<threadtitle>Online References</threadtitle>

<poll></poll>

<username>katwoman2003</username>

<dateline>1090888620</dateline>

<title>Online References</title>

<pagetext>My mentor mentioned that sometimes I can find information from online textbooks/references to help with my studies. I was wondering if anybody has a list of online references that will be useful for med school.

K

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Unknown

</username>
		<dateline>1118446380</dateline>
		<title>Unknown</title>
		<pagetext>(This

</post>

<post>

<thread>Y</thread>

<threadtitle>Questions about editions of books...</threadtitle>

<poll></poll>

<username>Gill0927</username>

<dateline>1090331280</dateline>

<title>Questions about editions of books...</title>

<pagetext>Hi everyone,

I'm looking into some books for first year and I have to say this textbook forum has been an enormous help. I have a couple specific 'edition' questions though, for any of you who may be able to help.

First, I have an uncle that has insisted on buying me the Merck manual (even though I told him that, right now, there are other expensive texts I need more immediately) as a 'congrats' on getting in...what's the most recent version (there are a ton of versions at chapters and amazon, from what I hear). I want the most recent and most complete version, and money is no object for him...which is a nice change from the way I'm used to buying books :b .

Second, I'm planning on getting a medical dictionary, and from what I've heard, Stedman's is my best bet. What's the most recent version of Stedman's? Am I best off getting the 'concise' that's more portable, or a complete version that has more in it? What do all of you have in terms of a medical dictionary? Any direction in this regard would be great.

Thanks a lot,

Gill :)

Archived