Premed 101 Forums

full course load

Guest sweet caroline

Guest sweet caroline

I was wondering if someone could shed some light for me regarding taking a full course load.

I only have 8 classes left in my degree so would it be better for me to take 4 and 4 or 5 and 3?

I do already have one full year of 5 and 5 with a good GPA but is this enough?

Guest peachy

I am not sure exactly what you are asking. If by "4 and 4 or 5 and 3" you are asking if you should take 4 courses in the first semester, and 4 in the second semester (vs 5 then 3) it really doesn't matter. No school distinguishes between these two things.

As to your second question, "is this enough", you need to examine the requirements of the particular schools to which you are applying. Each one has its own (very specific, very explicit) requirements which are available on the website of that school.

Guest Madz25

As an example, Western requires two full years (5 and 5) to be above a certain cutoff GPA in order to be eligible.

I second what peachy said. You need to look at the specific requirements of the school(s) you're interested in.

Madz

Guest The Law

I think if you're not sure, check the admissions websites and if you're still in doubt call or email admissions for verification.

Guest aneliz

If you are only planning to take 8 half-credits next year, this may not be considered a full-time year regardless of how you split them over the two semesters. Why don't you pick up a fun elective course or two to fill it out? This could be any course you want... something that has nothing to do with your degree but that you are interested in. You are going to be paying the same amount of tuition anyway.

Guest peachy
You are going to be paying the same amount of tuition anyway.
Why? Don't most undergrad programs charge per credit? When I was in undergrad that is how it worked. Four full courses cost ~$1000 less than five full courses.

Guest aneliz

Not at the schools that I have been at... anything >3 half credits was considered a 'full time semester'... therefore, taking 4 - 6 credits in a semester cost you the same amount of tuition... only part-time students paid by the credit.

Guest Anna

Heya peachy and aneliz,

At Lakehead, if you take 4 versus 5 or 6 half credits you always paid the same. One could take an extra half credit a semester (i.e. 6 and 6) but only if one had the permission of one's deparment chair.

Anna :)

Guest TimmyMax

Hey,

I was always at schools that charged as full-time versus part-time (ie: if you carried <3.0 credits, you paid by the course, whereas >3.0 credits, you paid the full-time tuition just like everyone else), so it's not all that uncommon! Mayeb your school is just weird! ;)

Best of luck!

Timmy

Guest peachy

Guess so. :) It just doesn't seem like a logical system in the sense that if you take a course during the summer, or at another school, etc, instead of during the regular term you get penalized for it financially.

Archived