Premed 101 Forums

UBC Med Info Session at UVic

Guest thatuvicguy

Guest thatuvicguy

Dear island folk :D

For those who haven't heard, Dr. Vera Frinton and someone from admissions will be giving a UBC Medicine information session at UVic:

Monday March 1st

1:00-2:30pm

Elliott 168

Cheers,

thatuvicguy

Guest northernjo

Thanks for the info, I'll definitely be there!

Have you been to see Dr. Nancy Sherwood (our UVic premed advisor) yet? I had a talk with her yesterday and found her quite helpful. She has a lot of experience as an interviewer and with UBC in general. This year she's part of the committee that decides our fate after the interviews take place. Anyway, if you haven't met with her yet I'd definitely make a point of it. She's in 052 Petch.

northernjo

Guest R2detoo

Hi, I was just wondering what kind of advice Nancy offered? I mean did you ask her about possible types of interview questions, or did you guys just basically go over your application? I am just wondering b/c I am living in Calgary right now, but I am a UVIC grad... so I wanted to know if you think it would be valuable to go and see her if my schedule allows.

Let me know what you think

Thanks!

r2detoo

Guest northernjo

I found Dr Sherwood especially helpful because of her experience as an interviewer and her knowledge of the ins & outs of UBC. She gave a great overview of what the interviewers are looking for and what happens after the interview is over. We didn’t go over my application specifically, but she did give some ideas of questions to expect. I found it more valuable than the lists of Qs available online because she had some idea about which types of questions the new panel style would be more likely to use (ie. less ethical and health care Qs than were asked in the past). Of course this is purely her opinion. She also suggested some ways to answer questions on parts of my application that I felt were weaker. I’d definitely recommend seeing her if you have a chance. Also, if you’re at UVic you could schedule a mock interview with Career Services ($10 for alumni). I found it totally worthwhile. It’s not too late to take advantage of those UVSS fees we paid into for years! Let me know if you want me to email you Dr Sherwood's email address.

northernjo

Guest R2detoo

Thanks so much for all the info.!!! I think I will take advantage of my alumni status ;)

If you do have her email address that would be great.

Is this your first interview at UBC? It is my very first interview ever, so I am quite nervous about it!

Anyhow, thanks again!

Cheers, R2detoo

Guest northernjo

Hi r2detoo,

I just sent you a private message with her email address. Let me know if it doesn't go through (I've never tried that option on ezboard before so I'm a little unsure if you'll get it!).

This is my first interview at UBC (or anywhere) too. I'm definitely feeling some butterflies. Do you have any interviews elsewhere? UBC is it for me so the pressure's on!

Well, best of luck!

northernjo

ps. what was your major at UVic? I'm just curious...

Guest R2detoo

Yes, I got the email address. I will send her a message asap.

As for me, I have a good ol' Biology degree. But I was lucky enough to spend eight months of my degree at the Bamfield Marine Sciences Centre, so that made it quite a bit more interesting.

UBC is my only interview as well!!!! Sometimes I find reading the posts on this board stress me out more than anything...ie. you realize how much others have prepped already. eek! :)

Anywho, thanks again!

R2detoo

Guest thatuvicguy

Was anyone else left a little perturbed by the UBC folks' response to our question about the assessment of UVic transcripts? Our UVic transcripts do not show percentage grades (just a GPA out of 9.0), so I asked for clarification about how a percentage is assigned to UVic students since percentages are clearly used in the assessment (stats on previous years give percent averages for pre-reqs etc).

First of all, with a bit of prodding they confirmed that my 98% A+ would be judged equivalent to another UVicer's 92% A+. Ok. This is a mixed blessing but probably not a huge deal. What I found more disturbing was the response to my next question: How exactly is the percentage chosen which is assigned to all UVic A+ grades (or D's or whatever). They seemed to get pretty elusive on this front. Turns out that a UVic A+ is not given the same standing as an other school's A+ for example. How or why exactly was definitely not clear. I know that different universities have different GPA systems etc but this was not a simple matter of conversion. The admissions lady explicitly stated that our grades are not considered equivalent to the same grades at other schools. She mentioned some sort of a confidential conversion chart that they use in assessing UVic transcripts and assigning percentages. Confidential?@#$% All I can say is that it was real fishy and they seemed a wee bit uncomfortable about this matter.

Heck I'm not even an applicant till this fall but thought I would stir up a bit of controversy ;) Anyone have insight on this?

Archived