Premed 101 Forums

I need your help on picking a laptop

Guest wab8611

Guest wab8611

well since i am commuting, at least for first year, i decided that i am going to get a laptop.

i originally wanted to get a dell, but it seems that i cant find anything the fits most of my needs. the reason im keen on getting a dell is due to my mom's "connections";) .. but i dont want to settle for something im going to need for 3-4 years. these are the models i have to work with at dell.. also my moms "connections" are telling me its better to choose a latitude rather then a inspiron.

i came across a computer company called eurocom - has anyone heard of it? - and it seems to have everything i want.. mainly these models;

M120 voyage

M360c Milano

i just wanted to know if anyone has ever heard of this brand and if its good?

and any of your opinions would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

wab8611

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Icarus

I have never personally used a eurocom computer. I do know one friend who has a eurocom laptop and he loves it. I'm not sure if that's of any use to you, but at least you know that there is 1 satisfied eurocom customer. I, on the other hand, own a Dell, so I don't think you'll go wrong either way.

Guest clinicalchief

I've had a Dell 600m for about over a year now and it is amazing. I took it to school / lab every day (lots of wear and tear) for a full year so far with no problems. It is small and lightweight (compared to most) and it hasn't broken down at all. I've used it in many situations and hooked it up to a projector many times for presentations etc. My only complaint is that it only has 2 USB ports, which can be a pain sometimes.

However, my friend just got a 700m, and I am seriously thinking about buying one. It is much more compact than the 600m (and widescreen) and looks like a much nicer computer. If I had my time back I would have definitely got the 700.

You can't go wrong with the 600, and possibly the 700 (I haven't really used the 700 much).

You could also look into the new Mac powerbooks, although I don't know much about them.

cc

Guest kellyl20

for about $1000 Cad. and is better than the dell 600M which is costlier but lighter. Not too heavy for a man or strong woman.

Guest little endian

Well, I dont' have a dell or a eurocom, but I love my laptop. I have a Toshiba Satellite M45 and I love it. It weighs in at 6.2 pounds, I carry it everywhere, Intel Centrino Mobile Technology, an 80GB HDD, an IEEE 1394 port, and high speed wireless LAN. It has 4 USB2 ports and I've never run out. The sound on it is also pretty good. All I can say it, make sure you go look at computers and get a feel for them before you buy them, buying something sight unseen can make for unpleasant surprises.

Guest clinicalchief

Whatever you do, try to play with the laptop before you buy it.

The Toshibas are good computers, but they are MASSIVE. I can't imagine having to carry it around, being used to my Dell.

The base model 700 weighs 4.1 lbs.

cc

Guest Icarus

I have owned the Dell Inspiron 1100 for two years now. I always thought it was quite heavy, but I really have no frame of reference. I've never had too many problems with mobility and I carried it on campus every day for two years. It's performance has been stellar. I bought it off eBay for a great price and I don't have any complaints.

Guest Elliott

I too, have a toshiba. I have lugged it everywhere and amassed a collection of crumbs in the key board enviable to small rodents...

It has and continues to serve me well. I would recommend it for general purpose.

My dislikes are:

-only two USB ports

-CD ROM gets too hot sometimes and has a little temper tantrum

-Esthetically not that pleasing

I have a Dell as my PC at home and have been extremely pleased with it as well.

On that note, I will need a new laptop in the next few years. I have decided at that time to go with a Mac. Although it depends what you want it for, there is just nothing that compares to Mac when it comes to putting together an impressive paper, presentation, etc. Also, they look pretty hot!

Best of luck,

Elliott

I have a Sony VAIO and I believe it is 14". The only thing I would suggest is not to get a laptop that is too small. For me, 12" is too small because the keyboard is small and modified by removing some keys here and there or keys are made smaller (ie. squarish instead of rectangular). Other than that, I'm no laptop expert so I'm not sure what else to suggest.

Guest AspiringMedStudent
My only advice is to avoid Thinkpads. I had to use these craptops for 4 years at Acadia, and it was hellish.

What is so hellish about Thinkpads? IBM Thinkpads are renowned for their amazing keyboards and reliability. What Thinkpad model did you use?

Guest Ronin

I have no idea what models they gave us, but they were updated to the "best on the market" every 2 years.

I'm not sure what would make a keyboard "amazing", so I can't really comment on that. But as for reliable, I'd like to point out that my laptop managed to spectacularly crash 3 times in one summer. Just about every student at Acadia hated their computer, it's a fact.

Guest Silverbullet

I worked in a computer store for two years and saw many laptops fail, and may laptops live long happy lives.

Avoid

----------

MDG LIKE THE PLAGUE

MDG is an afwul company built by souless monsters who want to steal your money and give you terrible equipment

Dell inspirons...The latitudes are good

the inspirons are cheaper..and may not last you 4 years of med school + beyond

Guest wab8611

ok i recently changed my mind..

im currently looking at the ibm thinkpad t42 - with addons i dont think its going to come up to anything more than $2200, and shipping is free. also the battery life for ibm t42 is pretty good, with a total of 9.5 hrs with 2 batteries.

im also looking at lg laptops. from my readings it seems that its pretty powerful, light, and the battery life is amazing. (it says 10hrs.. depending on the battery) the model im currently looking at is LS50 which is anywhere from $1999-2759, and the LM40 which is $2699.

these are the 2 name brands im looking at, and as of right now im not looking at any others.

please tell me your opinions, thanks

wab8611

Guest noncestvrai

I have an inspiron 9100 P4 3.2GHz and a 256 MB video card. I also have a small penis.

noncestvrai

P.S. Mine is a desktop alternative and was meant to save room on my desk at home. I would recommend a lighter one for travel home and back to school.

Guest iceapatel

My vote is for the IBM T series Thinkpads... I have a friend who owns a T42 and he loves it (he works for Micro$oft now). From what I've seen they are awesome machines... in fact, I'm gonna order up a T43 probably next week... they are pricey, but totally worth it!

Anish

Archived