Premed 101 Forums

I need your help on picking a laptop

Guest wab8611

Guest Icarus

Wab,

I'm starting at NOSM in the fall and the T42 is what we have to lease from the school. I'm not sure if it is because they are top of the line, or because both schools have arrangements with IBM already. The specs of what we're getting are below.

IBM ThinkPad T42

•        1.7GB Processor

•        512MB RAM,

•        40GB 5400rpm HDD,

•        14.1” XGA(1024x768) TFT LCD Screen,

•        32MB ATI Radeon 7500 Graphics Card,

•        24x24x24x/8x CDRW/DVD,

•        Intel 802.11b wireless network connection,

•        1Gb Ethernet (LOM) network connection,

•        56Kb Modem(CDC),

•        Microsoft Windows XP Professional

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest studentz

I've always viewed IBM's laptops as exceedingly overpriced, especially if you intend to do anything other than schoolwork with it. For $3000 you could get Dell's performance system which blows any comparably-priced IBM out of the water, or even those crazy machines from companies like Alienware.

Guest DrNicki

I'll offer my two cents in reply to those wondering about macs. I just purchased a ibook G4 last month and I'm very happy with my decision. I had mulled over the IMB vs. Dell vs. mac decision, and decided on the mac for aesthetic and portability reasions. I used IMB thinkpads during my undergrad and was always satisfied with them, although I suffered though my share of problems with Windows OS. In contrast, after using my mac for a few weeks, I've been totally blown away by Tiger (the mac operating system) and the performance of the computer on the internet. Judging on ease of use and variety of programmes, the mac is stellar. Microsoft Office for mac does help a lot, though, and I would go as far as to say its a necessary upgrade since we'll probably all need exel and powerpoint at some time during med school. Furthermore, the actual cost of the computer ended up being far more than the listed price on the web with the extra memory upgrades, software, and extended warranty/protection/service plan. There is a good deal right now where, in addition to mac's usual student discount, you get a mini ipod when you buy a computer (rebate programme)... so thats another nice little insentive.

Good luck with your computer decision - you've gotta admit, its a pretty fun decision to make:)

Cheers,

N.

Guest peachy
My only advice is to avoid Thinkpads. I had to use these craptops for 4 years at Acadia, and it was hellish.
I bet that's a reflection of something unstable about how Acadia manages their laptops, rather than about the IBM's themselves. I've heard similar complaints in a variety of situations where people get a laptop with a custom image from a medium-sized organization, with different manufacturers that normally produce stable computers.

I have a Sony VAIO and I believe it is 14". The only thing I would suggest is not to get a laptop that is too small. For me, 12" is too small
And for me, anything bigger than 12" is too large. :) I like tiny laptops. You have to go with what YOU want!

Really, as long as you get a warranty and don't spend too much, you probably won't be disappointed!

Personally, I think that the best rule to stick with when buying a computer is not to spend too much -- better to spend less money now for something that meets your needs, and then to buy something new in a few years, than to spend a fortune and then be stuck with an old laptop in three or four years!

Guest JSS02

I didn't know this until I was shopping for a laptop myself in the past few days, but Dell offers a special laptop deal to members of the Canadian Medical Association (I assume most med students decide to join the CMA). You get a free upgrade to 3 years CompleteCare with next day onsite service. This is worth $400 if you purchased it yourself. The standard is normally return to depot service (i.e. you ship the system back to them and have no computer for days) and no CompleteCare. CompleteCare means that you're covered even if you drop the computer on the floor or spill something and damage the system.

Basically after finding an online coupon and waiting for a sale, I ended up with an Inspiron 6000 (Centrino w/ Pentium M 730, 512 MB RAM, 60 GB hard drive, DVD burner, 9 cell battery) that includes the CMA warranty upgrade for $1300 including tax, which is pretty much untouchable by any other manufacturer for those specs. If you want a Dell that is a bit more portable, the Inspiron 700m (4 pounds) is a good choice. Being the business line, the Latitudes are more solidly built but at a price premium. And if you get full warranty coverage it doesn't matter too much anyway.

Guest kellyl20

Only trouble with Dell is their service. Technical service outsourced overseas and often can not understand what they are saying (heavy accent), have to keep asking them to repeat and say it slowly or even spelling it out. Annoying and so had rated their service accordingly.

Uhh...hardly true.

Their service (both technical and support) is industry leading. Their CompleteCare service is only half the proof.

I'm going to mimic JSS02. If you want a larger screen at the expense of added weight, go for the i6000. If you want something lighter at the expense of a smaller screen (12.1" widescreen), go with the 700m.

You can't go wrong with Thinkpads either.

Only trouble with Dell is their service. Technical service outsourced overseas and often can not understand what they are saying (heavy accent), have to keep asking them to repeat and say it slowly or even spelling it out. Annoying and so had rated their service accordingly.

I actually love the Fujitsu Lifebook. I actually just bought it last week. I previosuly had a big Toshiba one for two years, and it was perfectly adequate, but my mom's boss for whatever reason decided to buy me a new computer, so i chose this one because it was light weight and pretty powerful. The battery lasts 4 hours as well. So if you like portability, and don't mind a smaller screen, this might be the laptop for you.

Guest kellyl20

Dell's service is very willing, but it is often very very hard to understand their technicians' strong accent.

They did not use to be like this. I do know as we have had Dell computers from many many years ago and when the service was in North America it was much better to solve the technical problems over the phone. Now, I just say thank you and hang up if I find that they are too hard to understand and phone back again hoping to get someone new who I can understand better. Takes longer but does get better results.

Guest nextstopmd

Hey JSS02,

I'm curious about the Dell deal with the CMA that you mentioned. How does one go about getting this? Do you have to go through the CMA site itself or is there a link to Dell directly that will offer the extra warranty?

Thanks,

nextstopmd

Guest JSS02

If you go to the CMA website, login to your account, and click on the link to the CMA store, you can find details of the Dell deal. Basically you create an account on Dell.ca, order the system but instead of processing the order you save it to your cart, and e-mail it to the Dell salesperson named on the CMA site. He/she will then process your order for you with the extra warranty.

Guest indocanadawhat

Hey,

Well have I gotta laptop story for you. Well long story short, don't by the new line of Dell inspirons. A month ago I picked up a 6000m fully loaded, this thing was a piece of art - stole $1400 for me, haha. Ran well for about two and a half weeks, then just shut down one day, never to turn on again. Since then (a week or so ago) I've been on the phone with tech support. They sent me a new AC adaptor saying that was a problem, which was nothing but a pass-off of the real problem which was internal. I literaly demanded a new laptop and they gave in, even though it wasn't in the warantee I had.

My family has been buying dells for 7 or 8 years now, and no one will buy a dell again, thats for damn sure.

:hat indo

ps. on a related note, I recently used a friend's G4 powerbook and for lack of a better way to say it, that thing is the @#%$. maybe even the shizznit i don't know.

Guest nextstopmd

Thanks for the info JSS02!

That is a great deal on the warranty. I'll have to check it out when I'm getting a new computer... Some of the deals from Dell are pretty crazy.

nextstopmd

Guest thatuvicguy

I just received my Dell Inspiron 700M and it is a real beauty that has been working like a dream so far. Believe it or not, I managed to find a $750 online coupon which nearly cut the price in half. I did have to buy through the US Dell to use it but I imagine that they must make similar deals available to Canadian customers sometimes (my inlaws are American so I was able to have it shipped to their place).

If you're looking for portability, power and a wee bit of style, check out the 700M.

Cheers,

thatuvicguy

Guest Lactic Folly

Thanks for the CMA tip - I never thought to look under "Dell computers" for the Axim I want to buy.. apparently there is another Days of Deals coming up (one day specials) Aug 4th-12th... if the Axim goes on sale, I hope that CMA Dell rep is around!

http://www.redflagdeals.com is a good site for deals/coupons/freebies/contests. I waste entirely too much time there.

Guest thatuvicguy

Sure, I first heard about the coupon when I was poking around the technology thread at StudentDoctor.net and the coupon itself (it's a code that I had to enter when checking out) was at this site.

Since purchasing the computer and reading up on it (at epinions, cnet etc) it seems that these $750 off coupons come up fairly often if you keep your eyes open and are a mean googler...

Cheers,

thatuvicguy

Guest Lactic Folly

For anyone who is wondering, I contacted the Dell rep and they say the cma.ca discount cannot be combined with Dell Days of Deals (despite what it says on cma.ca).. too bad, as that would make an exceedingly sweet deal.

Guest peachy

That's nice to know, Lactic, as now I don't have to regret not using the CMA discount when I bought my Axim during the last Days of Deals promotion!

Archived