Premed 101 Forums

UBC Clinical Lease Fee

Guest bcdentalgirl

Guest bcdentalgirl

Hi guys,

I just got off the phone with Michelle Aucoin frm the UBC VP Students office and FINALLY had the Clinical Lease Fee explained to me in a way that made sense and put my mind at ease.

I just wanted to pass along one thing in particular: The Dean, Faculty, current students, and the University is taking the matter very seriously. They are well aware of the financial burden it creates and that some people may not be able to make ends meet. This is not being taken lightly, they are actively working on solutions

For me, I felt like the matter was sort of being ignored. It would have been nice to have it not only explained to me, but have been informed that they KNOW and are concerned for the students without adequate financial means (an extra 20,000$ laying around) and are addressing the issue.

I asked Michelle if she could ensure that what she went through with me in our 40 minute conversation be passed along to all new students, so hopefully there will be some kind of info session or forum on the subject when we start.

If you guys are like me, this has been weighing on your mind. I hope I've somewhat put your mind at ease. (if anyone wants to talk about this, PM me. I can also give you Michelle's number if you want to talk to her)

See you soon and enjoy the sun!!!

;)

Guest LestatZinnie

hi holly:

if you have time can you please give me an email about the details of your conversation and what they hope to do with the fee? any chance students will get their money back, or one can only hope for reduced payments in the future? i believe you have my email- asukaeva02@hotmail.com

thanks alot!!!

Guest LestatZinnie

i am guessing what she may mean is what the fee is for. Basically the fee is paid for the use of instruments and lab space. such fee exists because ubc needs to update a lot of outdated equipment (not to mention the ancient building...), and since BC government rescinded the tuition freeze last year. i believe this hits dentistry particularly hard as it costs a school more money to train a dentist than any other profession (info from mcgill newsletter). The lease fee was first applied last year for the class of 2006 when the stop to tuition freeze came into effect. With the government busy pouring money into the 2010 winter olympics, I doubt there is going to be an improvement of funding. However, UBC is looking into provding more sources of loans for students. UBC is one of the few schools in Canada that does not refuse admission to students just because they can not pay, so everyone who got in will be able to go- it's just that the loan may be quite large. however, it still beats going to the states, which many canadian students do anyway.

just my 2 cents

Guest Pearly Whites

Lestat, from your posting, you said "UBC is one of the few schools in Canada that does not refuse admission to students just because they can not pay"

Are you saying some Canadian dental schools will not accept students if they can't afford it? Which schools are you talking about and how would they know? thx!>:

Guest LestatZinnie

hello

i'm not sure how many other canadian schools have the same policy as UBC. It is, as I have 'heard', one of the few, but it's possible that all canadian schools have the same policy. For many schools in the US, it is definitely the student's own business/responsibility to come up with tuition. The best way to find out if the school you're interested in has similar policy is to call the financial services department. good luck

Archived