Premed 101 Forums

problem-based learning

Guest BBB

Does any one know exactly how the problem-based learning works at UBC and/or UofA? Inputs from current medical / dental students will be fantastic.

I posted it twice because I wanted to get feedbacks from both medical and dental students. I've got accepted to UA dentistry this year. It should be interesting to see the responses from both groups. After all, not everyone visits both medical and dental forums. But, thank you for answering my question. It was very detailed.

So, PBL is mostly based on materials from the lectures. Do you occasionally find yourself having to search for info that you haven't learned? If so, how do you decide whether the amout of info you've searched is adequate. Also you talked about assigning objectives to each member of your group and then having him to teach the rest of the group the objectives he's responsible for. What if you don't like that person's presentation for whatever reasons? So, I guess you have to overlap the assignment, so that each objective is done by at least two people, eh?

Guest toothy

There have been opinions for and against PBL in med curriculum, but on the whole people seem to be receptive to this newer type of teaching. My question is, do you think the skills taught and encouraged by PBL apply to dentistry? After all, due to the lack of mandatory residency after 4th year, there's a big crunch for time to fit in all the didactic and practical components. Do meds principles work in teaching dents students (i.e. what's good for the goose is good for the gander?)

Archived