Premed 101 Forums

UofT

Guest varadinum

Guest Plug Dis

You are right...there may be people that had less than a 4.0 GPA or even 3.7 that got in over the last couple of years....but I'd be willing to bet I could count the number with both hands. The interview is pure Bull####. I had to embelish(lie) about a few questions and I must have done well because I got in....because of course it means so much. I believe every school should interveiw the way McGill does because you are not pressured into answering questions in a certain way and you can just be yourself. And by the way, if you think that I am one of the people with 4.0 that can't relate to patients, have a listen. I've been working with the public for the last 7 years...that's right I actually hold down a job during the school year and don't have mommy and daddy's financial backing when it comes to school. In fact, my parents have to borrow money from me sometimes. Think I'm some genius geek that can't hold a convesation-well its definitely not part of my genetics-I'm the first one to go to university in my entire immediate family and I have 18 first cousins! I am an athlete...named athlete of the year every year during high school...I am a city wrestling champion, I am a black belt in karate, I've played hockey and rugby competitively for a total of 15 years and I've even been a cheerleader. I've worked construction, I've worked in an office. Think before you speak mofo because I take great offense to anyone who thinks things have been given to me on a silver platter and that I may be some social moron because of my marks...I work hard and it shows....I will succeed in whatever I choose to do..its just that simple. Thanks for the defense bio792003. OUT!

PLUG

Guest Koggetsu

man! I thouight about embelishing some of my answers too at my interview but decided against doing that at the time cause it didn't feel right to do it. Guess it doesn't pay to be honest hahaha

But seriously I have a friend in UT DDS program and he said that the profs told the class that it doesn't really matter or not u lied or not in the interview as long as u give good answers! Hmm I guess thats the type of person we are looking for to be a healthcare professional??? hahaha

Guest Plug Dis

RE: Plug Dis, I think you're all full of @#%$ and you have very little respect for others! I'm usually not this blunt in my posts, but almost every post of yours has been about how you despise the interview process, how you had a 10.0 GPA and still didn't get in, how're you all great, and how everyone is wrong and you're right etc blah blah blah...

People, here's the deal. GPA counts for a lot at UofT, but it would be an absolute lie to say that w/o a 4.0 you can't get in. Obviously, people do!

The interview process is not meant to be a BSing experience. Although I can imagine that given the inexperience of the UT Dents Admis Commit, they're not as good as pickinig up on BS as others. Yes, there are very specific answers they're looking for, but the best way to go is be yourself and answer them. If you're a normal person w/o major personality disorders, you should do alright. My interview lasted only half the normal length, my answers were very short but honest and TRUE (No lies!). I thought my answers could've been better given their briefness and given the fact that both interviewers had a PAGE full of grading criteria for each answer. But hey, no regrets, I'm in!

No one should have the impression that BSing or lying is the best policy for interviews, 'cuz it's not! Ask anyone (well, almost anyone).

Whatever happened to honesty and integrity.

Guy for your own health and safety I hope you end up elsewhere else. Yes I am great....but everyone can infer that from my posts. So is everyone else here that is interested in sharing their experiences and helping others. You are probably the kind of loser that would say "I'm sorry I didn't go to that class" when you really did. Anyways I'm not about getting into a ridiculous war of words when I can't see your face. I would just like some proof that I said only people with 4.0 get accepted. I am accepted and yes I had a 4.0, actually I had a 3.91 but everyone should know by now how UOfT dents operates. I had a bad interview experience last year with UofT....yes I believe their interview is bull. How have I said or even implied that everyone is wrong. Oh and by the way....before you begin your trek across the boards trying to find any dirt (like I'm sure you are already doing)-geek, why do you think you got in.....was it your marks or your personality.....I think one was definitely weighted higher than the other...Anyways I'm over and out never to be heard from again. I've said my peace and now I'm retiring. JUST STAY OUT DA WAY...the train is coming through.

PLUG

People this discussion group was meant to help each other out not to disrespect each other.

The interview process might seem airy-fairy. It is a standard CDA protocol that UT, UWO, USASK, and other use (Except McGill, as far as I know), the purpose of it is to guage the applicants' personality and their thinking process, and nothing more. Beside, you have to meet a certain cut-off from the interview to be considered for the ranking. I think at least 65% (both UT and UWO). Therefore, you can have a 4.0 GPA still get rejected, not consider on the waiting list, if you bombed the interview. However, since everyone that is considered for admission had a very similar interview score > 65% (only count for 25% for the overall score), very little changes can occur. Thus, ultimately GPA is the most important indicator for admission. That is why ppl with high GPA that bombed the interview gets a rejection letter, while ppl with lower GPA is on the waiting list.

Guest bio792003

Plug Dis, I think you are a great guy and I am sure you will do very well at UofT Dentistry. But when you are there, DON’T forget how you feel about the interview and let them know that.

I know another smart guy who is going to be in the same class with you and he says that he is going to raise the problem of the value of this type of interview. I think that all the HONEST students should do that. Admitting that you lied and trying to stop the process that pushed you to do so (retarded questions), shows integrity and that you care.

Those who pretend that they never lie are probably unable to tell the difference between reality and imagination.

;):D

Guest aneliz

Okay, so:

I know that the application/interview/acceptance process can be stressful and it is sometimes difficult to see why things happen the way that they do. I am sure that dent admissions are similar to med admissions in that it sometimes seems that the 'system' really isn't fair and that you have been 'screwed over' while somebody else got what you want (the acceptance). I know that it is difficult to remain objective when discussing a potentially subjective situation.

That said, flaming each other and making unfounded accuations about each other/other applicants/current students/the school/the program, etc is not helpful and really doesn't solve anything.

Please try to play nice in the sandbox!

Andrea

Guest bio792003

Aneliz, no offence , but I think you got a wrong impression. This is just an open discussion about how we feel about a certain type of interview, it’s not about being “screwed over”. From my understanding ,those who shared their opinions are NOT rejected . Plug Dis and Jiggaburn are accepted , Hollenback is a current student amd I intend to apply this year.

:b

Guest aneliz

I really don't care what you guys chose to discuss or what stage of the admissions process you are in....I do think that things could be kept a little bit more civilized in here and would likely be a bit more productive if they were.

That's it, that's all. I am not trying to tell you what to do, just reacting to the 'hostility' in some of the posts....it seemed to me like things were potentially getting a bit out of hand and outright nasty....and seeing as 'nasty' threads tend to get locked if not deleted, I just wanted to point that out to you guys and give you the opportunity to change your tone and clean things up a bit before this happened to this thread...because I think that you could have a productive discussion on this topic as long as people remain civil.

Guest ubcdent

Hi guys...

i just wanna say that i got rejected from ubc...and it is true that you need to meet a minimum interview score to get in...which is 17/35...and my gpa, dat, and personal attributes percentiles compared to the rest of the candidates were high...except i screwed the interview |I and did not meet the minimum score and my application is not considered further....that's all i wanna say.

good luck to all of you.

Guest Skippybarf

stop bragging about yourself. it took you two years to get in to dental school. woopie! you must be one heck of a guy to get rejected with such a high gpa the first time.

i got waitlisted, number 14.

what are my chances?

Guest Shahenshah

wow..what's with all the bad vibes here?..hmmm...do u guys realize that this is just a board..yeah just an information laden board where people provide valuable information...other than the obvious immaturity of fighting here and trumping one's success over another or giving seemingly irrefutable opinions, do you really think it will make a difference or correct someone else..is this really true camaraderie where people r just helping each other?..honestly y doesn't everyone just take it easy, relax and just continue to positively contribute..I'm sure there r people out there who like the drama, but I'm not sure if this was the intent of this board..so far 2 things are clear:

1) the interview format seems to have problems and needs to be fixed..hopefully the students who do get in can contribute to a change if they feel so strongly about it.

2) we have already discussed that based on last year it seems like they have gone to high 40s on the waiting list..which means that there really is no point in asking if you are #9 on the waiting list do you have a chance etc cause its no different from saying you are # 15 based on what info. we have.

Guest bcdentalgirl

Personally, I don't think the interview process is any different than a job interview (faults and all), so I'd have to disagree with you on #1.

However, one thing that IS for sure is that ANY information obtained on a forum such as this should be taken with a grain of salt. There are a lot of opinions that are masquerading as fact here. Getting in to dental school does not automatically make one an expert on the subject. While the info gives a lot of insight into the process, remember that most of it is based on subjective experience. Just stating the obvious.

As far as flaming goes, it happens on every forum. The only thing that bugs me is when people change their handle to go toe to toe. It's weak.

Guest Skippybarf

sorry to dissapoint but im not the other guy who was fighting with plug dis. if you read plug dis's comments surely you can see how condescending and lifeless he is. im sure his fiance is 'ecstatic'

to anyone that has a problem with bickering.... a forum is to post anything, whether it is positive, informative or even negative. roll with the punches and enjoy it. :D

Guest LestatZinnie

overall i think plug dis is a fine guy. yes he does come across as a bit over-confident and self-righteous with his "I didnt get in with 4.0 gpa because of stupid interview" attitude, but his biases against interviews aside, i think he has made some good contributions to the forum. for better or worse, in my humble opinion it would be valuable for him to keep posting here as he goes through dental school.

Guest UWOMED2005

No matter where you go in life, you're going to find people/opinions you just get can't stand. Particularly in professional schools such as meds and or dentistry. . . personalities tend to be stronger, more thought out, and people more vocal in expressing them. If you don't learn to turn the other cheek, walk away, and/or just plain ignore BS, Dental or Med school will eat you alive.

Man I hope this is the last post on this subject. Wasn't this thread supposed to be about U of T and what a vastly superior school Western is? :)

(Here's hoping that barb stimulates more constructive discussion. . . nothing else we've tried has seemed to work)

Archived