Premed 101 Forums

Can any school beat the McGill Dental School experience

Guest Plug Dis

Guest Plug Dis

Wow McGill is becoming more and more attractive with the high costs here in Ontario.

Tuition Year 1 -8500 Year 2- 8900 Year 3- 7100

Books - 2000 2000 2000

INstrument - 0 15000 4000

other fees -1800 1800 2400

Total Year 1 - 12 300 27 700 15500

Year 4 Tuition-4200

Books 2000

INstruments 2000

other fees 2200

Total Year 4- 10.400

Now after considering just the cost of the education, you get to live in Motreal, one of the greatest and most interesting and fun cities in this world. I think its better than Toronto anyways(where I live). Rent is dirt cheap(about half what you'd pay in Toronto). Getting around is dirt cheap (Subway Pass-$40 dollars a month) Here I believe its $90 per month. The people that I met during my orientation at the interview are fantastic. The lady in charge of coordinating all the admissions questions is super quick to reply..She replied to one of my inquiries on a Saturday night around 8pm, no joke. The staff are fantastic and you couldn't find a nicer bunch of students....a couple fourth years offered to take me out to dinner when I was being interviewed to show me the city. And best of all, the class is only 29 students....smallest class in Canada. Fantastic. Now all I have to do is convince my fiance that it will be cool if I go to McGill (she really wants me to go to UofT because we both live here). I would really hate to give up the opportunity though. Well I have more thinking to do I guess. If anyone has any questions about the school just post and I'll answer....I'm slowly learning more as the days go by. Take it easy and give it up for McGill!

Plug

Guest medicator007

Hey Plug,

Thanks for the McGill Props....

Btw... cant speak for the 2nd, 3rd and 4th years cuz they separate us. But there is NO way ur gonna spend 2000 dollars on books ur first year. All we need is in the notes, i have purchased Netter (anatomy) and a histo atlas... might need to get a medical microbio book for unit 7.. thats about all!

Cheers and congrats,

Medicator

Guest Pearly Whites

Hi!

Is it true that non-Quebec residents have to pay a higher tuition at McGill then Quebec residents? and how much of a difference?

Thx!

Guest Plug Dis

Yep, Quebec residents pay about half the tuition costs, all the rest of the fees being equal.....and thanks medicator, I had no idea that books would cost you less than 2000Gs....COOL.

Ciao

Plug

Guest medicator007

Yes non-quebec residents are subject to differential tuition and do indeed pay more than quebec residents.... not sure how much though.

Plug, not a problem, i can try and answer any other questions you have, but the best resource (i.e mcgill dent) students tend to be easier found at http://www.nghe.ca

Cheers,

Medicator

Guest medicator007

Plug,

I'm a career long McGill student... did my Bsc in invertebrate biology with a minor in history (yeah, weird combo but what can you do?)

As for the ease....

First off, its a pass/fail system. which takes a while to get used to, but really takes some pressure of you to succeed. I'm not going to say its easy, right now im killing myself in preparation for the final on monday, but you can really have a life outside of school. I still work part-time and do some volunteer work!

As you may have seen, our class is really relaxed, totally not-competitive at all and generally really fun. There is some inherent and completely benign med/dent ribbing but overall we get along quite well.

The major complaint from the dents is the general irrelevance that some feel the curriculum has to their career as dentists. Apart from 3 lectures on tooth formation we really don't do much that is directly related, though as i learned today some forms of leukemia do manifest themselves in the gums... much to the delight of our dental colleagues!

Overall... its doable, but not easy :)

Cheers,

Medicator

• 4 weeks later...
Guest haibinyin2000

Plug:

Montreal is only fun IF AND ONLY IF you're fluent in French. ALL interesting events in summer are held in French and anglophones don't feel like they live in Canada :)

Guest Biochem10

I have to disagree with this statement:

Montreal is only fun IF AND ONLY IF you're fluent in French. ALL interesting events in summer are held in French and anglophones don't feel like they live in Canada

Montreal is a great place for anyone. Actually, the McGill communitry is pretty anglophone and you don't need to speak French to be here. On the other hand, having a decent knowledge of French will allow you to go out to the east end and explore St. Denis and the Plateau and other fun places. In fact just being here usually gives anglophones the initiative to go out and take a French class. I know my French has improved a lot since I moved here.

I definetly do feel like I live in Canada, Quebec is a huge part of Canada. In fact, since I've been living in Montreal, I've had the opportunity to ski at places like Mont Tremblant, go to Quebec City and go Whale watching on the St. Lawrence river in Charlevoix. There are a lot of fun things about Quebec and Montreal and if you're willing to keep your political views to yourself (meaning don't purposely try to piss off separatists) you can meet a lot of great francophones and anglophones.

Hi Plus Dig,

I'm new here (hi everyone) but I've been reading up on your posts for some time. First, congrats on your acceptance to McGill. Just a quick question for you - you're in your final year at UofT, right? And what other dental schools did you apply for other than UofT, Western, and McGill? Good luck with Friday's acceptance notifications!

~Haeu

Guest Plug Dis

That's it dude,

UT, Western, and McGill.....last year I only applied to UT...so its an improvement. Take care and thanks for the comments. Peace

Archived