Premed 101 Forums

Cell Phones in Halifax

Guest scooter

Guest scooter

Hey guys,

I'm from out of town and heading to dal in the fall. Any advice/experience for which cell phone companies are good and which are bad?

Searching online there seems to be mainly Rogers, Bell, Telus, and Fido. Are there others? Which are the big ones. Does anyone know if they have great offers in September to entice students or if their plans are pretty much always the same.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Guest MrNeuroscience

Hey Scooter,

I've always had a Roger's cell phone, and I guess they're alright. I never get "dropped" calls and their prices are reasonable. As far as I know, in the Halifax area all the cell phone companies use the same towers, so they all have just about the same reception. If you choose Aliant for your cable (or is it internet?) then you can get a cellphone from them as well, and I think that keeps the price down (bundling idea). I have never had a telus phone, but they win byfar for having the coolest phone selection, however I had a friend (this is going a little ways back) that wasn't very happy with Telus and ended up with Rogers.

I'm pretty sure that Rogers would be the largest cell provider in Halifax... they're a safe bet, and there are stores located all over the city (just on the corner of Spring Garden and South Park) which is really convenient.

The good news is that since you know you'll be here for atleast another 4 years, you'll be able to sign a long-term contract (I know, I hate the thought of it too!) and therefore be able to get a really good phone for a pretty decent price.

Hope this helped!

Guest GP2B

hi scooter,

i have been with aliant for about 5 years and have been happy with it all along. the reason that i chose aliant is that i was able to bundle my internet, home phone and long distance etc. and it ended up being cheaper than any other combination i researched. i do agree with mr. neuroscience that you won't find a big difference in reception, etc. so i think your best bet is to figure out which services you will be requiring and then compare costs. as far as i know, this is how the service providers work:

eastlink: standard cable or digital, internet, home phone, long distance

aliant: home phone, long distance, internet, digital cable in some areas, cell phone

rogers: cell phone only

telus: cell phone only

Guest HaliEngineer

With an eastlink bundle (cable, internet, phone) you get 15% off of your Rogers Cell Phone plan as well - if i'm not mistaken.

Archived