Premed 101 Forums

help! need advice

Guest realistic

Guest realistic

Hello everyone here. You all seem to give some real good advice. I've been struggling with the issue of going to med skool and stuff, but my gpa is just above 3.0 , and so many things have been happening in my life, that I seem to have trouble realistically assessment my chances of getting into meds. I've done some very different things that involved community commitment and travelling (which would stand me out), and now, 4 years post-undergrad, I've been working at a decent job in health care. Because I just got promoted, I had to withdraw from BioC300 and now have a W. I was told from UBC meds advisor to make a better show for my transcript by taking at least 15 credits of science courses. Because I didn't have the BIOC, I thought it would have been a good idea to take it, but with the nature of the work I do, it's been difficult to attend class before my work day start and put the time into the class. I will put meds on the back burner until I am more stable financially to go back to school.

I guess my question to all of you is: Would the "W" in the BIOC300 as an unclassified student affect my chances of getting into meds later on (in 2 years from now, when I will be ready to devote my time back to school)?

In my opinion I don't think it matters. If you have one W and you've got good extra-curr. activities with a reasonable GPA, they will consider you. I know of people who have 2 or more W's on their transcript and they did get interviews. As long as you show that you worked hard and that your grades improved, you'll have a chance. I would take some extra courses to increase the GPA as well :)

Hope this helps.:P

Dunes

Archived