Premed 101 Forums

still haven't heard anything???

Guest maven from the maritimes

I'm from Nova Scotia and still haven't gotten a word of news from Dal :( ......is anyone else in the same boat?? I somehow managed to distract myself from the mailbox stalking insanity and now I've realized that OOP files have been reviewed and mailed and I'm still stalking my mailman!

Does anyone know what's up? Should I give Dal a call?

Guest cactus

Hey dude,

I hear ya. I now know the exact route my mailman takes and feel like some days he misses my house altogether. I guess the bright side is we've made it this far (no rejection letter) but it is nail-biting suspense. I personally have rejected all ideas of contacting the school because I know the secretary and admissions office wouldn't tell me anything that I don't know already, that they haven't decided on my file yet.

But I can see why the thought crosses your mind. I keep wondering if my letter was lost in the mail.

Good luck

Thanks for the quick replies guys. :) I'm just happy to know I'm not the only one still left in the dark. Maybe this Friday will be the lucky one for us all. Til then... keep your head up. We're not out of the race yet!!!!

Guest evyon

Was beginning to think I was the only one who hadn't heard. Keep thinking maybe things got lost in the mail?

Just paranoid I guess.

Good to know I'm not the only one and I agree with Maven--keep your head up!

Guest DMacDNB

Hey,

I'm a NBer and haven't heard either. Do you guys think it's just because they haven't gotten to our files or that they don't know what to do with us?

Guest cedar05

Hey guys,

I am sure they just haven't gotten to your files yet i believe they said the middle of june or so before they have gotten to everyone.

Good Luck!

Guest Ninja Star360

I am also an applicant within the martime pool, but I have yet to hear back. I also know of several people who have yet to hear back. I do however have a theory on what is going on. I think Dal may be still reviewing the applications, but not necessarily sending out the letters until after May 15 when most of the other schools send out acceptances. This way, they can see how many people already granted seats to Dalhousie will decline. Once the seats are freed up, the people at Dal will then send out the letters of acceptance and rejection to those of us still waiting.

Guest cactus

I guess I'll join the ranks of making it through the second week of May without any news about my application. Very disheartening.

I used to think that it was possible to somewhat gauge where you stood based on the "class profile" from last year, but when you read some of the posts of who is accepted and rejected and look at their stats, you almost get the feeling that they sort through the applicants that are "good" by pulling straws or flipping coins.

I guess those factors that you cannot know, i.e. references, interviewer impression, and who holds your file (and what they value in an applicant) must make all the difference in the world at this stage.

Cheers

Guest cedar05

Hi Cactus,

I agree with you that all those "other things" make a huge difference at this stage. I think this is a good thing though as it tells us that it is not enough to just have good marks. You are just as impressive, or more impressive, with slightly lower stats (i.e they still need to be good) but great EC's, community involvment, references, interview, etc. I was lucky enough to hear from dal early (end of Feb) and my stats are good but not fantastic!

Anyhow good luck and I hope you hear soon.

Guest JewelLeigh

I understand the frustration that comes with waiting so long to hear, but I want to remind you guys (and as you have alluded to) that there are FOUR factors used in determining acceptance. The "stats" that you see are typically only for ONE area of the four (academics), so while someone might be at one extreme or the other with respect to those stats, that is only about 25% of their application and thus, does not really give a solid indication as to who will get in and who won't. As has been said, the other 3 factors (supp info including essays, references and interview) have a large role to play and are difficult if not impossible to judge based on the small samples that are posted on here! :) So - I assure you that the process isn't random and that the best applicants are the ones who are chosen based on all four criteria.

Hang in there guys!

Guest dogeatdog12

but marks can be reason enough to disqualify your application. Even though it's only 25% of the total, a bad MCAt+ GPA combination would throw off your app. it's a red flag.

Guest JewelLeigh

Agreed :)

But, I think what is relevant to the above posters is that having a gpa/mcat that is in line or better than the stats from previous classes, does not = acceptance.

Guest cactus

hi,

any idea of how many spaces for acceptances are usually available still at this time of year? just ballpark is cool, if there is a reasonable answer to this question.

because, I suppose with the middle of june fast approaching they must be down to under a 100 or so applicants!

Cheers

Guest fizio

Hi all,

I'm in the same boat of the waiting game. I'm kind of in a tight squeeze as I've applied for a new, advanced position with the local district and if I get an offer it will be very tough to make a decision without knowing my dal status! I never commit to something, unless I'm able to put my all into it, and it's gonna be a double wammy if I reject the job based on my principles and then get rejected from Dal too....oh the wait is a tough one. We are also having to wait on registering our 5 year old for his first year of school. I know everyone has their own life they are putting on hold, but I thought I'd share my predicament to give all you others something to distract from your own dilemmas! Well, good luck everyone.

fizio

Archived