Premed 101 Forums

research focus...

Guest dogeatdog12

Guest dogeatdog12

hey

I had my interview... and I think I spoke too much about my research focus. They asked me why I wanted to do medicine instead of Research. I said that I'd like to one day practice medicine and incorporate that using research. I regret answering the question that way because I'm worried they believe that I'm just interested in research and not helping people.

hey dog.....are you a grad student by any chance? I am and they stayed far away from asking me anything academic/research in nature at all. Sort of caught me off guard but it was refreshing. But research is an integral part of medicine today....and even full time clinicians contribute research at some point in their careers....so I don't think there is anything wrong with what you said.....although I think everyone on here wishes they had a chance to articulate things a little differently on some questions. So no worries.

Guest dogeatdog12

thanks for replying.

Actually, I am not a graduate applicant. I have a lot of research experience throughout my undergradute career and I included in my "why do you want to study medicine" question. I do want to do research in medicine, and I think both compliment each other greatly. But I'm just worried, they think I'm only interested in research...

I thought Dal ddin't mind researchers.

Dal LOVES researchers. What they love even more is seeing that you are a honest, decent person who can communicate well. If you had it on your list of interests, it's fair game and they probably were more concerned with having it start a conversation than probing for the right answer. If you truly want to do medicine, I am sure that showed. :)

I think they'll appreciate your honesty. Medicine needs all kinds...with or without any research know how.

How'd you find the rest of your interview? I think everyone leaves Dal's interview feeling fine. Mine was super relaxed....althought my interviewers didn't follow up on any of my answers so it was difficult to tell whether I was saying too much or too little. Time will tell I guess.

Archived