Premed 101 Forums

Error on interview invitation

Guest glo

Well, I got an interesting (and depressing) email from UBC on Thursday. Due to 'an adminstrative error' I was incorrectly invited for an interview....WHAT???...talk about a shock!

Anyways, I called the school, and was told that the OOP cut off was 42. When the computer did the rankings, my name (and 3 others) with a 39 popped out. Not realizing the problem, the school sent off the invitations. Someone called to inquire what their score was, and it was only a 39.

(I vow to never call to find out my score!) This of course raised some alarm at UBC, so they re-did the sort, and this time the people with 39 didn't show up.

I understand mistakes happen, but it still sucks! I now have an irrational fear that I'm going to receive letters from the other schools where I do have interviews saying 'oops, our mistake...'

I guess I don't have to worry about flying out twice (I'm in Alberta now, getting ready for my UoA interview on Tues...here's hoping that wasn't a mistake!)

Good luck to everyone who does have an interview, I hope it goes well! :D

Guest northernjo

OMG glo that's absolutely terrible! I can't believe they would allow a mistake like that to happen. Now I'm a little worried since I haven't received my interview date and details yet. Do you know if it happened to any in-province applicants too?

At least you've got other other schools to interview at. I wouldn't worry about the same thing happening with them, the chance of that is outrageous. Well, I'm PO'd on your behalf and impressed at how good you seem to be taking it. Good luck in Edmonton this Tuesday!

northernjo

Guest AnxiousBoy

I think that was very unprofessional of UBC. Even with the mistake, i think they should still grant you an interview. What would happen if it was for acceptance? "Oh sorry, we can no longer grant you a space because of our error. Please try again next year, and we're sorry if we screwed over your plans". I think its ridiculous.

Thanks Makunouchi, I certainly hope so. :)

From what I gathered Northernjo, it only occurred with OOP applicants, and very few of us (4 total)...of course, with less than 30 OOP'ers invited, not sure why they didn't catch it, but hey, that's another story. So anyways, I think you're safe, your email should be coming.

Once again, good luck!

Didn't UBC un-reject a couple people a few years ago? I seem to remember this because there was an uproar about this at the time.

Oh well, their admissions office is a mess... I'm glad I never have to deal with them again.

Guest canstowski

UBC had to accept ppl from the rejection pile 2 years ago b/c too many accepted candidates turned down UBC. They exhausted the whole wait list and had to fetch ppl from the rejection pool...

Archived