Premed 101 Forums

rogers

Guest leafsone

Guest leafsone

anyone have a rogers cell phone in the Halifax area, and if so, are there any issues with reception etc? I'm moving out from Ontario, and a Roger's rep cautioned that I should make sure that the coverage is adequate.

thanks for any input

Guest stepstofollow

There are dead zones for Rogers. My husband and I HATE it.

There are problems just past Bayer's Lake, and out toward Hammonds Plains -- this is spite of Rogers protests that there are not and that they upgraded their towers purportedly last year (Or the year before?/)

Also problems along the TransCanada from Folly to Antigonish -- very spotty coverage.

If I was getting a new plan I would NOT GET ROGERS.

This is my opinion only -- I'm sure that if you live in town and don't travel much you will have no problem.

Guest Craigers

One problem with Aliant is that their technology is a little behind. They use a CDMA system while Rogers uses GSM. So your Aliant phone won't work anywhere except North America...which is fine if you don't plan on travelling.

Also, as far as I can tell, Aliant doesn't have any phones with Bluetooth...which might be useful in the next few years with PDAs and laptops for wireless internet.

I am by no means an expert, but that is just something else to keep in mind.

BTW: There is also Telus mobility. They use Aliant's towers in Nova Scotia so their coverage should be the same as Aliant (I have heard from someone at Aliant that Telus does not have access to 100% of the towers, but that might not be true). They may have bluetooth phones that would allow for wireless access with your PDA or laptop...but they might not. It might be that CDMA technology just can't do the same things as GSM.

Archived