Premed 101 Forums

problems for 2004/2005 class

Guest UBClebronjames

Guest UBClebronjames

I have heard from a number of good sources that the entering class for UBC this year will have to face a disorganized and very independent mode of studying b/c or the new expansion. The seem to have 1st year sort of figured out, but getting all those tutors for PBL or specialized tutors for 2nd and 3rd year cirruculum will be very very difficult. And shadowing the already burdened rural doctors doesn't seem very fair to them.

I know that the expansion is looked at in a very positive light and rightfully receives all hoopla that it has generated (especially among pre-meder's hopeful to get in) BUT what good is all this optimism if we as students are not educated properly??

I even had a respectful and informed lecturer suggest that I go to another school even if I get into UBC med b/c of this guinea-pig factor. What is your opinions on this matter?

regards

Guest not rex morgan

We've been experiencing growing pains in the upper classes due to lack of attention as said attention is displaced to expansion planning. If you only get into UBC, go to UBC. If you have a choice, look at what the programs offer. Do you want to live in another province for whatever reason? Something to consider. Many of us found UBC relys on the self-directed learning philosophy quite a bit. At times, it's sort of a universal excuse. If they can't teach us something, we're still responsible to learn it on our own. That is a drawback. I'll admit it. As for what you should do and how everything will pan out, it's hard to prognisticate. Many of us found the PBL style innappropriate for our learning styles. Many of us found evaluation of our progress through our tutorials also innappropriate. It's a point I bring up, because it is one the deserves self-reflection, rather than a universal advice statement.

Like I said, I wouldn't be turning UBC down if I didn't get in anywhere else.

Guest Makunouchi

Yeah, when I saw that in the paper, I was astonished. Trying to appease a point-scale by an external review process, without any regard for the students. That's ridiculous. I can't see how they can reduce the larger undergraduate 300+ class sizes to sub-50.

I hope the increased funding is going somewhere useful (with increases in international students and increases in tuition).

Guest bcdentalgirl

Another thing that incoming med/dent students should be aware of:

UBC is trying to implement a plan whereby bursaries will no longer be offered to professional students (med, dent, law, education(!)), until that student has EXHAUSTED all other sources such as bank loans, lines of credit, etc. In other words, NO MORE BURSARIES for us. The current definition of "financial need" at UBC is need over and above government supplied loans/grants, yet in the case of professional students they have decided to violate this definition.

We are currently writing e-mails in protest and I think any prospective student would have every right to do likewise if it's something they disagree with...

write to Herbert Lai university.counsel@ubc.ca

(I have tried to search UBC for info, but it seems like they are really keeping it under wraps, maybe ask Mr. Lai to clarify the situation for you if you need more information)

Guest thatuvicguy

In regards to impact on the incoming expansion-era class: I had the pleasure of serving beers to a group of current 1st years while they were here at UVic testing out a few expansion features (including the pub I guess:p ).

After they all generously gave me their $5-10 copy cards (it was the end of their stay and they had no more use for them!), I asked them how they felt the expansion would impact next year's class. Granted I asked pretty casually of the group, but of those who spoke up all seemed to have a pretty positive outlook. I suspect that they interpreted my question as pertaining only to the UVic cohort since they mentioned 'increased attention' as a highlight. I also failed to poll them specifically on post-freshman implications...overall, a rather poorly implemented, totally unrepresentative survey:rolleyes

but then life is really just a series of interesting anecdotes isn't it? ;)

cheers and goodluck everyone,

thatuvicguy

Guest walkorbike

Hi, thatuvicguy, thanks for passing this along. I was really wondering how that 'simulated week' at PG and UVic for med one volunteers turned out. (Am also amused about your scoring the copycards!)

Archived