Premed 101 Forums

Ph.D student or Family Physician as Reference

Guest HenryTheBig

Guest HenryTheBig

Hey Guys,

Do you guys think that using ones family physician would be a good reference? My family physician has known me for a long time (approx. 12 years) which is a lot longer than any Prof or community leader has known me.

Also, I've been working in a lab all summer and have been helping a Ph.D student get some data. Thus, I have been very closely working with the Ph.D student. I don't know my supervisor (Prof) very well. The Ph.D student knows me better as a person than my supervisor does, so would the student make the better reference?

Guest physiology

I don't know how Ottawa views reference letters, but my feeling is they're assessed more on content than anything else. So, in essence, it doesn't really matter who you ask, as long as you ask from a variety of sources.

Are you basing who to ask solely on their titles? (Ie. It's better to ask a family doctor for a ref letter than a PhD student, because physicians are more reputable)

However, in what capacity does the family physician know you? As strictly a patient? If so, then I would reconsider.

I'm currently working with a PhD student right now, and personally, I would ask the PhD student for a letter because he understands my work ethic, integrity, sincerity, etc, better than my family doctor.

Ultimately, the question is: who would be able to write you the BEST reference letter?

You can also help to bring out the "best" by asking things like:

1) Would you be willing to write me a strong reference letter for medical school?

Having that word "strong" there gives them the impetus to provide a stellar letter.

2) Would you be willing to read my autobiographical essay and look at my extra-curricular sheet to provide me with a strong reference letter?

Anyway, hope that helps.

Physio

Guest Mimicat65

I used a family physician as a reference in my application last year (not to Ottawa), and was told in my debriefing after being rejected that a family physician is generally considered a weak reference. This was "unofficial" but came from a member of the admissions committee. If the physician was someone you had worked for or volunteered with over a significant period then they would probably be considered a great reference, but using one just because they have known you most of your life apparently isn't a good strategy. This may be looked at differently at Ottawa though.

Hello,

Having written my own letters during my Ph.D. work I would suggest if you could have the student write and see if the professor can cosign it.

Good luck!

g22g

Archived