Premed 101 Forums

health/dental insurance?

Guest reb

just wondering what the health and dental insurance plans are like for med students? does it depend on the school? is it similar to the insurance for undergrads (which is pretty bad)?

Guest Steve MD09

It certainly depends on the school. I'm at UWO, and we have the same plan as the undergrads through the university student council (which is okay for extended health/prescription drugs, and non-existent for dental). My undergrad was at U of T, and I'm fairly sure that the med students there had the same plan, which had mediocre dental insurance. I suspect med students have the same plan as undergrads at most schools. We supposedly get some really awesome insurance in residency, but don't get anything good until then.

Guest satsumargirl

U of Ottawa is the worst plan I have ever had (in comparison to U of Guelph undergrad and UWO grad). It really isn`t a health plan...it is simply a drug plan. And there is no dental coverage exept for accidental dental emergency coverage.

So as long as you won`t need any physio or anything, you'll be covered. Well your physio will be covered IF the need results from being hit by an external object travelling at a high velocity...blah blah...I forget the specific jargon they used to tell me my sport injury was not covered. But the insurance person on the phone actually laughed after she read it to me and wondered why they even bothered saying it was part of the plan".

At UWO not only did I have physio, but I also had massage covered (that was the grad plan though, don`t know how the undergrad plan compares).

Guest Ollie

Hi,

The UofT plan isn't bad (same as what undergrads have). The drug plan is pretty good (it even covered the malaria pills I took while in Asia). The dental is mediocre (not as good as what I had at UBC). It only covers one visit a year ~70-80%. I'm not sure about massage, physio etc. The other thing that sucks is that there isn't direct payment for drugs. You have to pay then get reimbursed.

Guest everyoneloveschem

Does the Ottawa plan cover any extras like glasses, orthodics, or counselling? If it doesn't, it really does suck. How much do you pay for it?

Guest satsumargirl

www.sfuo.ca/pdf/healthplan/OTT-30520%20&%2030521%20(2).pdf

You should be able to find the plan description here. As you can see it is pretty minimal. Pretty much drugs and a few emergency/accidental stuff. (using their defninition of accident!)

I am not really sure exactly how much we pay for it..I never checked. But from the above document maybe around $100?

I don`t see anything about glasses there, so I am not sure if they are covered.

I believe there are free counselling services available though Student Affairs....that will all be explained orientation week and handouts given. :)

Archived