Premed 101 Forums

OSAP

Guest drbutterwick

Guest drbutterwick

Hey Guys,

I have some questions about OSAP. On the application, it asks whether I am at least 4 years out of highschool or least 5 years out of highschool. If you select the first choice (like I did), your parents are required to declare their their yearly income. Given that my parents combined income is over 100,000, would I still qualify for OSAP? There are 4 dependents, two of which are attending post-secondary schools.

My problem is: if I don't receive government assistence, I won't qualify for bursaries at Ottawa.

Thanks. Derek

Guest hacker

Hey Drbutterwick,

I would apply for osap as soon as I can if I were in your place. The first year tuition for Ottawa is over $20,000 if you add in the laptop and the books. I dont know if your parents could help you out with this much of money ,not to mention rent and other living expenses.

I'm sure the osap ppl will realize that and will offer you some help, which might not be that much, but would make you elgible for bursaries at Ottawa ..

See u in September !

H

Guest dr deelish

You need to be honest when you fill out your OSAP application .. so check off 4 years if that's how long you've been out of highschool. However, I've spoken to someone from admissions and awards at UT and he said that OSAP will change it's independence criterion from 5 years out of highschool to 4 years out of highschool effective this year (this is unofficial policy as of yet though, but it should fall through), thus an OSAP estimate you receive this year will probably be smaller than the actual amount you receive should this kick in.

On an aside .. I know of someone in your situation whose parents are making over $100,000 and they've received money from OSAP - because you are a medical student and tuition is really high, they will most probably give you something.

Guest Nikhila

I was wondering if OSAP checks all our bank accounts for how much money we have? I remember signing various parts of the declaration page but can't remember if I consented to them looking into my bank accounts. There isn't much in there anyways so I'm not worried about it but I'm just curious ;)

Thanks,

Nikhila

Guest blinknoodle

I am just filling out the OSAP application - I must admit I've never done it before.

Under eligibility, there is only the option of whether you have been out of high school for 4 years (there isn;t a 5 year option). So I guess it has changed already....

-bn

Guest blinknoodle

Nope. They didn't ask me for anything about my parents...

Sadly, I still get a whopping $0 from OSAP.

boohoo.

(no car, just my parents put all my investments in my own name)

• 1 year later...

Archived