Premed 101 Forums

Scholarships in medicine?

Guest tutifruiti

Guest tutifruiti

Is the a limit of questions?! (o.

I'd like to know if any of you who have received non-specific-to-your-school (in other words, from private funds) scholarships while being a med student... Since I believe people here to be very competitive, I don't expect alot of reply... but it's just a try... (o.

let me start first:

www.cst.org/aboutus/awards.htm

(I can't apply, but if you can, it's a great opportunity)

Guest UWOMED2005

"Merit-based" scholarships don't seem to be a big thing in medicine, at least at the schools I've looked at. It's kind of hard to compare med students academically - most of them have done extremely well. UWO has a number of 'awards' it hands out for achievement, but they're not much $ compared to the tuition. There's a lot more money available as "needs-based" bursaries.

Guest ThugJaan

I can concurr that statement...hardly anyone here has merit based scholarship. If you need money, you tend to get scholarships disguised as bursaires [same $hit diff. name; free money]. But its not much; maybe a couple of grand here and there. By and large you will forced to foot the bill yourself.

Guest UWOMED2005

For the most part. . . but at least at both Western and Queen's, there is a fair amount of money devoted to bursaries if you do have significant amounts of student debt. I've heard a couple of rumours of some of the 4th years getting bursaries this year in excess of $10k to help towards tackling that debt. It wouldn't surprise me if the situation was similar at U of T. . . but someone else will have to confirm/deny that.

• 3 years later...

Archived