Premed 101 Forums

Is it possible to do FP, work a bit, then do another spec.

Guest Grok

I once heard that when you choose your residency/specialty, and you finish, you cannot re-specialize and go into something else....

eg could you do med school 2yrs to go into

family practice, work a few years and then go back and specialize in say general surgery or psychiatry....

I know most people would never do this (give up the full time salary for the 40k residency salaries....) but could you if you wanted to?

I remember meeting a couple of docs who went into Fam, did a couple of years, and then specialized. I believe they told me that this trend is now fading, though. Most often then not, it's due to not wanting to spend so much time specializing.

seno

Guest UWOMED2005

Yeah, I've heard of people switching as well, including a number of our profs. But we've also been told that it is getting more difficult to switch. It has been explained why.

Guest Monica411

One of my profs last term said that his wife did that.. she did a 4yr residency in Radiology and then decided it did not have enough patient contact so she did another 4yr residency in Psychiatry. I do not know if that was in the US or not (my prof did meds in the states) nor do I know how long ago it was.

All I can say is it seems possible but you'd really have to determine why you would want to and whether the value of a 2nd specialization is in line with your personal long-term goals.

Guest Ian Wong

One of the people who just graduated UBC med is planning exactly that. There are also "re-entry" positions each year for physicians to retrain in a different specialty, although these numbers are much lower than what is offered through CaRMS (and obviously not accessible to us med students who aren't yet specialty-trained physicians).

Ian

UBC, Med 3

• 8 years later...

[quote name=

Monica411

]]she did a 4yr residency in Radiology and then decided it did not have enough patient contact so she did another 4yr residency in Psychiatry.

WTF she must have regretted to death today... salary dropping from 600K+ to a meager 200K or not even...

poor woman...

Ya I know a pathologist that was a family doc before. She told me that the gov't (Ontario or federal, I don't know) paid her and a few others a 'full' pathology salary (~250k) to do the path residency if they agreed to work at a certain centre for x number of years. From what I gather, she is a well liked pathologist because of so many years of experience in family brings a unique perspective to the dept.

I also know a gastroenterologist who did family in another country, then an IM residency and practiced as a general IM doc for a few years and then did the GI fellowship.

I know someone who practiced FM, then did an ortho residency.

So do I - maybe the same person!

Sometimes I do wonder if closer to retirement I will try and do a family med cycle and then go part time in to the sun set in a place of my choosing. Seems like a nice way to wind things down :)

she was obviously concerned with more than money in life, and psychiatrists hit close to 300... just for your financial consideration, because that's obviously the only thing that matters in life ;)

WTF she must have regretted to death today... salary dropping from 600K+ to a meager 200K or not even...

poor woman...

just for your financial consideration, because that's obviously the only thing that matters in life ;)

Sorry to approach this problem from my own scope. Choosing between two specialties that I both dislike, I'd naturally go for the richer one.

Personally I am a medical guy, not a super lucrative specialty either.:)

Cheers

Archived