Premed 101 Forums

Offers

Guest shetland23

Guest silverjelly86

2/3 of acceptances are mailed out May 15.

(Apparently, these are the people whose combined MCAT and interview score puts them at the very top)

The remaining 1/3 of acceptances are mailed out June 5, as well as all rejections.

So, hope you hear back in the middle of May, or your wait will be all the more excruciating!

Guest kalenakai

Thank you Silver for the info and for being so optimistic. I wish you all the best.

Are the dates for mailing offers same for OOP applicants?

Guest silverjelly86

I think that the dates for mailing offers are the same for everyone - at least, we weren't given any differing information.

Guest ManitobaUWO

so does that mean that those accepted on May 15th will not have their current year GPA looked at (ie like how early offers used to be done?)

Whereas those accepted on May 30th need their final transcripts to act as a deciding factor?

Guest silverjelly86

Yep - that's how I took it, UWO. The people accepted May 15th have a strong enough combined MCAT/interview that their AGPA wouldn't matter, since they're obviously over the cutoff. For those accepted later, AGPA is definitely factored into the equation. 'Cept it's June 5, not May 30th, for these people.

Guest silverjelly86

I have no idea. Strong MCAT I think is relative to the applicant pool. Last year (if you look at the stats for in-prov on the U of M med site), it looks like above 10.5, you had a great shot. Interview I don't think anybody knows!

here's what I've been wondering...

Does the GPA really affect a whole 1/3 of the applicants? I can't see it being that much of a factor, especially at 10% of the composite score. I can see maybe a tenth of the people for whom the GPA calculations would actually matter, but really, one's GPA will not change too much between now and may 15th.

It's just dragging out an already long process, imo.

Guest silverjelly86

ITA, VS12. I think they just like making people wait. :lol

Seriously though, once again referring to the stats on the U of M site, there's an obvious advantage to having a high GPA regarding the ratio of successful to unsuccessful applicants. Thus, GPA must be quite a factor even though it's only worth 10%.

Guest happy2bme

I agree that it can't be just waiting for GPA for the entire third.

I was thinking that since all western Canada offers go out on the 15th, and most have around 10 days to accept, all the top students will have time to decline acceptances and make less work for admissions by knowing who is already declined and thus make a larger number of second round admission offers.

But since they do accept your prereq finished this term and they do make up part of your AGPA, they have to wait for those who are in the Bubble group.

I hope I'm in either group, but the wait from May15th onward is going to be killer!!!!

Does anyone know if they will email this year as well, or just snail mail?

Guest fever meds

well, i didn't read all of the above b/c running short on time here but to answer a few questions...

1) results by email? most likely no. I only heard of them doing this if there was a mistake, and they needed to rectify situation asap.

2) why wait on GPA, etc for last 1/3? well usually it works that applicants have 1 week or so to say yes or no (or put a deposit down), this way it gives MB a chance to select other students without putting them on waiting list first (thus less stress). I am sure there has to be at least 15 people or so who initially turn down the initial offer (but thats just a wild guess)...I don't think GPA really matters as much as just buying time to seat the first 2/3s...again just myopinion though.

Guest Madz25

In the information bulletin it says that offers will be mailed out May 25th...just wondering where the 2/3 on May 15th and 1/3 on June 3rd info came from...

Madz

The faculty announced that May 15th thing at that interview information session they held for everybody back in the winter before the interviews started

Archived