Premed 101 Forums

US acceptance

Guest Hotsaw

Guest Hotsaw

I recently got into GW, which I'm really excited about. I would have liked to go to school in Canada, but the schools in Canada did not realize that some differences do exist in grading policies beween schools. Oh well, their loss...

• 2 months later...
Guest mcgillsweetie

Hey guys,

Congrats to all who have been accepted to US schools.

I am presently on the waiting list at ALbany Med. I recently spoke to the dean, and she told me that I should start preparing for admission since I am at a good position on the list and she expects that I shall be admitted for the fall.:eek

ANy ideas on how I can begin my quest? In terms of loans, etc? :rolleyes

Thanks.

Guest Macmeds06

Hey mcgillsweetie,

I interviewed (and was accepted ) at Albany Med - awesome school, everyone there was really friendly and courteous and it was tough to withdraw my acceptance from there since it's such a warm (figuratively) place :lol

Regarding loans- in the purple and white financial aid book they sent, look at the back cover (it may be on the very last page, I can't remember). If you don't have it, call the financial aid office and ask who their "preferred" private lenders are. There are 3 sources of loans Albany recommends that have decent plans and interest rates. You can surely get the ball rolling by filling out an application now.

I wish you the best of luck!

Guest premed81

Hi Hotsaw,

COngratulations on your acceptance. Can I ask you how many US med schools you applied to and was it pricey to do so? Also, how did you manage to go to the interview in the middle of the school year? Was it a hassle to arrange the travel plans? Thanks

Guest Hotsaw

I had graduated in 2002 and was working the past year, so I didn't have to worry about missing school. I know lots of friends though that had lots of interviews during school and it wasn't a big deal. I applied to 7 or 8 schools in the US. It does got a little pricey with the AMCAS and the secondary fees. Good luck...

Guest premed81

Hi Hotsaw,

I was wondering if you could tell me some of the schools you applied to. I find that many of the schools have high preference for US citizens or students of that state. Did you automatically not apply to those schools? I'm also curious to know where you did your undergraduate (because I think my school, UTM, makes it there focus to not give out high marks :\ ). And one more question, if you don't mind me asking, what were some of your extracurricular activities? My two main activities that take up most of my time is my volunteer work at a local hospital and I work in a family practice of 3 female physicians. All three were graduates of U of T medical school (though many years ago when the standards were different). Anyhow, loved to hear a response. Bye.

Guest mcgillsweetie

Thanks for the info Macmeds06.

I received an email Friday indicating that I have been accepted at Albany Medical College.

WHile I am thrilled to start medicine, I feel bogged down by the size of the debt I will incur. Is this normal? Should money not be an issue?

mcgillsweetie

Guest Chieka

Hi mcgillsweetie,

Congrats on your acceptance!

I agree that the debt load can be overwhelming, especially considering the limited options available to Canadian students. I suggest talking to the financial aid people at Albany and seeing what they have to offer. Also, there's a loan program for international students which I looked into a little. You can get more info at this website: http://www.iefc.com .

Also, try searching this forum for threads related to this topic. It's been discussed before, and I think the only major option is the iefc loan.

C.

Archived