Premed 101 Forums

Interview

Guest Chieka101

Guest Chieka101

Hey :)

I've got an interview at an American school (University of Connecticut) on Friday.

I hear it's pretty relaxed, and I'm not too worried, but does anyone have any advice anyway?

Thanks.

C.

Check out the 'interview' forum....if you browse through the old posts you will find lots of tidbits from various people...I don't know if you will find anything school specific but it should all be relevant....med school interviews don't vary that much!

Congrats on the interview and good luck!

Congrats on your Interview and Good luck...

Could you tell me how you went about applying? Did you apply to US schools individually?

I heard some med schools have "rolling admissions". When should you starting looking at applications if you want to start in the Fall?

any advice would be appreciated :)

Guest Ian Wong

I'm going to move this out of the General Premed forum to the Applying to the US forum...

Applications to US med schools happen through a centralized agency known as AMCAS. You submit them a whole schwack of information, and they will forward it to all the US med schools that you choose to apply to. The fee you pay to AMCAS rises proportionately if you apply to more schools.

Those US schools will then send you secondary applications, which usually mean additional forms/essays, as well as a second application fee (probably one of the biggest reasons to ask you for a secondary application!). If they like your secondary, you get an interview, and then either get accepted, get put on a waitlist, or get rejected.

Rolling admissions applies to many/most of the US med schools, which means that they accept people immediately. So, the later you go in the application cycle, the last spots are available because they are being filled on a continual basis. As a result, you should really aim to submit your AMCAS application on the first date possible, which is usually in June the year before you plan to start med school.

So, if you were starting med school in August/September 2004, you would want your AMCAS application to be submitted in June 2003. There's more information in the AMCAS link at the top of this forum.

C,

Good luck on your interviews! :) I'm sure you'll do great. Probably the most important piece of advice is just to relax and be yourself (something to repeat to yourself in those nervous minutes just before the interview starts). Once the interview actually DOES start, most people just ease into it nicely. Other than that, just know yourself, your application, and why UConn would be a good fit for you, and you should make out fine.

Ian

UBC, Med 4

Archived