Premed 101 Forums

non rolling admission schools

Guest applicant

Guest applicant

Noone has yet answered this question on the American med schools string. Therefore I'd ask here: Does anyone know which Canadian-applicant-accepting American schools DO NOT have rolling admission policy? I know that Harvard is one of them.

Guest Ian Wong

Hi applicant,

I think a large part of the difficulty is even just to compile a list of the US schools that take Canadians could be pretty formidable, let alone which of those then doesn't use the rolling admissions process, which is pretty pervasive in the US med school system.

I also really like to keep topics in their specific area; people who are applying to US schools, and therefore most likely have the information you seek will find this thread easiest in the American forum. Future people looking for a US-centric thread like this will do likewise. Because of that, I think I'll give this thread a couple days but after that, I will be moving it to the American forum where it's most appropriate.

:)

Ian

UBC, Med 3

Guest brandonite

90% of schools in the US have rolling admissions. As the above poster mentioned, Duke, Harvard, Yale, and Columbia are notable exceptions, both in that they have non-rolling admissions, and in that they accept a lot of Canadians. Washington University (St. Louis - ranked #3 in the US) and Stanford are a couple great schools that accept Canadians and have rolling admissions.

I'm not sure about Cornell... I can't quite remember. Northwestern is another question mark. I would check out these schools on SDN, but it's down for repair. I would wait a couple of days, and go back and post this on SDN. I'm not familiar with a lot of these schools, because I only applied to four, myself. http://www.studentdoctor.net This site here is by far the best resource for Canadian premeds, but there isn't a lot of information floating around about US schools.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Thewonderer

The list of schools who my friends have been accepted to or interviewed at (or pretty sure Canadians/internationals do get accepted once in a while):

Albany

Albert Einstein

Baylor

Boston University

Case Western

Columbia

Cornell

Duke

George Washington

Georgetown

Harvard

U of Hawaii

Medical College of Wisconsin

Mount Sinai

New York Medical College

Northwestern

Penn State

Univ. of Pennsylvania

University of Vermont

UCLA

Vanderbilt

Washington in St. Louis

Yale

note: I would personally stay away from UCLA and UCSF. Baylor is cheap (15k/year as opposed to 30k/year at most other schools) but that's because of heavy state funding and hence requires to enrol 80-90% in-state. Case Western also has to admit 60% in-state but still expensive. MCP in Philadelphia do NOT accept internationals, although it is a private schools.

Other schools I heard might accept internationals but no personal experience:

Dartmouth

Finch/Chicago medical

Emory

Rochester

Tufts

Thomas Jefferson

U of Chicago

U of Washington (MD/PhD only)

Schools that are non-rolling as far as I know....

Columbia

Cornell

Duke

Harvard

UCLA

Washington in St. Louis

Yale

But it is still better to interview early at non-rolling schools. They tend to interview applicants with strong numbers early on so if you get an interview before Christmas, it is a good sign.

Archived