Premed 101 Forums

Acceptance letters........

Guest happy2bme

Guest happy2bme

Does anyone know why they would send out 2/3 of the acceptance letters out on May 15 and the rest at the end of the month?? Why not send all out at the same time? Obviously even if everyone of the intial 2/3 offers were accepted they would have to still send out the other 1/3 of offers regardless... Top candidates still will have to wait for offers from the ontario schools etc. to make a final decision, as they are revealed later usually than may 15 so that can't be the reason.

Anyone know the reasoning behind this? Or is it a waiting for final transcripts thing to possibly change things up in the latter 1/3 of possible acceptances. apparantly it is your AGPA on May 15 not what you applied with that they use for ranking.

Guest NRC boy

I believe the reason they are doing this is because some higher power wanted all the Canadian medical schools to send out invites on the same day (May 15th). Dont quote me on this since i wasnt really paying attention. If this is the case, Ontario schools will have to send out their first batch of invites on this day too. The people who get a spot from U of M on the 15th will be the higher ranking applicants who do not need their AGPA score to be factored into their ranking. Once you get lower down on the ranking list, GPA becomes very important for positioning and thus the U of M needs to calculate the final AGPA accurately.

This new way is kinda mean. At least before they sent early acceptance to a few people, and you (ie. me) would know that I would be too @#%$ to get one of those and not worry until later. Now that 2/3 are getting it, that leaves roughly 230 people sitting around -----ing their pants as they hear rumors that others around them were already accepted. VERY rude system indeed.

Guest ManitobaUWO

Does anyone (ie Jag or Fever) know what kind of formula they use for admissions. I know the 10 GPA 50 MCAT 40 interview, but is the GPA a raw score (ie 3.6 = 0)?

is the mcat a raw score? (seems like it might be since people with 10.5 and higher seem to get in at really high rates regardless of GPA.)

Also what constitutes an Early admission. I haven't heard of other schools doing this. Do they not count your GPA at all and just look at the remaining 90% (ie if that's good enough your in or is it a point system of some kind)?

Thanks

according to Dr. Fred Aoki last year, the raw score from 0-whatever is actually the way they grade it.

Advanced admission is for people that are guaranteed to join the class, regardless of what their GPA is (they scored so high in MCAT and interview that it doesn't matter)

They have eliminated early admission for this year.

Archived