Premed 101 Forums

Good Shoes for clerkships

Guest Hamartoma

Guest Kirsteen

Hi,

For what purpose do you need the shoes? For the wards, within the OR, or for another place or occasion? If it's for the wards then Merrell make a good number of comfortable, hardy yet lightweight shoes. Likewise, they have a couple of comfy, durable clog-style shoes that are suitable for the OR.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest 24medgirl

I currently work in a hospital as a health professional. I wear pretty dressy clothes to work - suits, skirts, jackets etc. At first I had a hard time finding cute comfortable shoes, but for the last two years I've been buying Hush Puppy heals/pumps. They're pretty nice looking (basic black modern pump), good support, a little pricey, but in my opinion worth it. I'm going to buy a new pair for doing electives.

www.hushpuppies.ca/

Hope that helps. If you're a boy I'm sure it will be dreadfully unhelpful! :rollin However Hush Puppies also has boy's shoes!

T.

Guest summervirus

One of the most comfortable pair of shoes I've been wearing for the past few years is a pair of Rockports. I've also recently bought some Merrell clogs and they're great too. When I'm on call or in the ER, I like wearing Crocs.

Guest rubberoduck

i once saw an infomercial about this shoe company which has a branch i think in north york. the shoes are custom made, it's a bit pricey ($99 up) but it's supposed to fit your sole perfectly so that it's extremely comfortable, and can eliminate poor posture.

Guest studentz

Guy/Girl??

If male, I really like the Clark's Wallabees, which are super confortable in suede and last forever.

I also have a pair of Hushpuppy dress-casuals that I wear to the hospital for work/ASCM and they're very comfortable too.

Guest Ian Wong

I'm up to 4 pairs of the Merrell Primo Breeze II clogs, which are hands-down my favourite shoes for standing and walking around all day. They have a mesh upper that breathes really well, so your feet are still cool and dry even coming off a 30 hour shift. The downside, don't wear these things without shoe covers in the OR, as the mesh is porous. I found that the relatively low frequency of getting puked on/bled on outside the ICU and OR's meant that these shoes could still be worn the majority of the time you are in clinic or on the wards.

Primo Breeze II

For an even more comfortable pair of shoes, check out the Merrell Jungle Mocs. These guys have a suede upper, and therefore don't breathe so well (they get your feet a little soggy after a 30 hour shift, but are perfectly fine for an 8-10 hour shift).

Merrell Jungle Moc

A lot of other people like Birkenstock clogs, and Dansko clogs, but I've not tried either and can't comment much on them. I used a pair of Anywears clogs for OR work back as a med student.

Anywears clogs

Between the Jungle Moc's for short shifts, and the Primo Breeze's for long ones, I haven't felt the need to experiment further.

Ian

Ecco shoes are awesome. So comfortable and stylish for women. Although they are quite expensive $150+.

I had a pair of sneakers that I wore for 3 months straight walking more that 10km per day while travelling and my feet never got sore.

• 6 months later...

I think the designation needs to be made between whether or not your feet will be exposed to blood or other fluids. Personally I'm not a huge fan of crocs, but I own two pairs with no holes on top for OR heavy days when I'm pretty much going to be standing in one spot all day.

Otherwise I'm a fan of pumas with Dr. Scholls inserts. Black/lifestlyle ones for clinic days, or whatever with scrubs...just make sure your going for leater and not cloth cause of the risk of blood splatter.

T

Archived