Premed 101 Forums

How do you set yourself apart from everyone else?

Guest FUBAR

Guest FUBAR

Hi everyone. My first post. :P

As we all know, there are a LOT of pre-med hopefuls out there. The majority probably have stellar GPA's and MCAT scores, if they've taken it. On top of that, many are volunteering and getting involved with extracirriculars. To me, applying to medical school seems almost formulaic: get good marks, volunteer at the local hospital, do research in the summer, join a few club etc. I was wondering, how do people set themselves apart and prove to the admissions committee that unlike the masses of pre-med keeners, you are truly passionate and qualified for the profession?

Personally, I plan on volunteering for a homeless shelter. I want to push my boundaries, step out of my comfort zone and reach out to those who are truly in need.

Any thoughts on the topic?

Thanks

Guest ComplacentTragedy

Wow, uh... I wrote them a poem on my UofA application.

Well, you're asking how to be noticed - but to be different without sincerity is meaningless, whereas true belief in your work leads to both depth and henceforth, originality.

There was an interesting thread a while ago about volunteering solely for the purpose of admissions being lame.

Do something you have a keen interest in. Volunteering at the hospital could mean you end up working in the gift shop or sweeping floors.

Volunteering at the homeless shelter is great - if you have an interest in it. Doing so just to be different will leave you bitter ("Arg, I spent all those hours at Souls Harbour and I didn't get a 4.0!! ALL THOSE WASTED DAYS!!!").

But it sounds like you really will learn something from volunteering at the shelter, expanding your mind and seeing how diverse life can be. And it is that passion that stands out from the many other who....

"So why did you work at the orphanage."

"Looked good on the resume."

Archived