Premed 101 Forums

retake courses or do a masters?

AMmd

Hello All,

I need your advice. I am starting my 3rd year (and last) in bio (in province) and my first year was horrible, but my second was good (gpa above 3.8) and 3rd year, I know I can do the same. So I was wondering if I should either take a year off and retake some courses that I did horrible in, or start a masters?

does Mcgill look at all your marks, even tho you have imporved a lot, or do they just consider your cgpa? Also do they mind if you retake some courses or should I move on a do a masters?

I am confused!! :confused:

Thanks

AM

I'm having a similar problem. Got a crappy semester (3.1) but the 2nd was alright (3.6). Stupid biochemistry teacher....I hate thee. :mad:

I don't think applicants can retake classes (although I could be wrong). My suggestion is to go ahead and get a Master's degree (OR another bachelor degree, as many schools will want you to have completed four years of undergraduate anyway).

By the way, when you say "Horrible first year", how much did you get anyway? You could always bring your average up to McGill's 3.5 cut-off, considering that your 2nd year went extremely well.

Thanks for the reply,

My first year was pretty poor, I got arond 2.9 mostly due to oganic chem. But the second year was alright 3.88.

So I beleive that I can get it to 3.5, but I am pretty disapointed with my first year marks, because it really looks bad compared to my second year. I mean, when the adissions office will look at all my marks, I wonder if they will say that I had a horrible first year, or that I was lucky in the second year. (I mean I woked like crazy in my second year, but there is no way of showing that I guess)

Also, the gpa calculation I used was from OMSAS, I dont know how mcgill calculated the marks, we have a % system, and we also get an equivalance in letter for each mark (so for example: 80-100% =A, 70-79=B), so maybe my GPA is accually different.

Let me know what you think,

Thanks.

Yeah, that's an interesting question (can anyone answer that?). I mean, here at UQTR, I had 81% in Physiology and 82% in Applied Chemistry, and they consider those as B+ instead of A-. Then, Anatomy, got 75%, they gave me a B- (WTF?!) instead of B+.

Then, the ultimate, last semester, got 79.6% in Microbiology and got B....grrr...:mad:

I wonder if my marks will be converted to McGill's calculation (which would seriously help my application, and yours too).

By the way, you shouldn't worry. The admission requirements ask for a 3.5 GPA, and not 3.5 and above each year. I say don't give up yet. One more year of hard work and you could bring up your GPA above 3.5.

wow, 79.6 and its not rounded of to 80??

I would have raged...

yeah I'm really confused how they calculate the GPA, Do they take your % mark and convert it according to their system (i.e. (I think) 85-100% = 4) or do they use your school's conversion to letters and then change that to a GPA... in my case it would be 80-100% = A, which is = to 4?

And what I dont understand also, we do not have +/- in the conversion.. its just A, B, C or whatever. So if I get 70 or 79 in my school its still considered B...

can someone explain to me how they would calculate my marks???:confused:

yeah I'm really confused how they calculate the GPA, Do they take your % mark and convert it according to their system (i.e. (I think) 85-100% = 4) or do they use your school's conversion to letters and then change that to a GPA... in my case it would be 80-100% = A, which is = to 4?

And what I dont understand also, we do not have +/- in the conversion.. its just A, B, C or whatever. So if I get 70 or 79 in my school its still considered B...

can someone explain to me how they would calculate my marks???:confused:

Depends on what's on your transcript. If it's letters, I think they just assign their values for it (so your 79% B would only be 3.0) but if it's numbers, your 79% on the transcript would be B+ or 3.3.

I'm not 100% sure though.

However, if your average is "just" a 3.5 due to this factor alone, I'm sure you could mention it in a letter attached to your transcript and they would notice it (meaning you might get an interview anyway).

Hello All,

I need your advice. I am starting my 3rd year (and last) in bio (in province) and my first year was horrible, but my second was good (gpa above 3.9) and 3rd year, I know I can do the same. So I was wondering if I should either take a year off and retake some courses that I did horrible in, or start a masters?

does Mcgill look at all your marks, even tho you have imporved a lot, or do they just consider your cgpa? Also do they mind if you retake some courses or should I move on a do a masters?

I am confused!! :confused:

Thanks

AM

Just out of curiosity, what school are you at, that doesn't give + or - attached to their grades? That's weird.

Hi there,

Well we get our marks in % .. but there is a conversion chart attached to the marks, which gives the equivalant in letters (without +/-). However, on the transcript it shows the mark in %.

BTW, I go to Bishops U...

so if I undertand correctly, they will take my marks (in %) and convert it to the GPA using this conversion that someone posted previously...

A and A+

85 -100

A-

80 - 84

B

75 - 79

B

70 - 74

B-

65 - 69

C

60 - 64

C

55 - 59

D

50 - 54

F (Fail)

0 – 49

"so if I undertand correctly, they will take my marks (in %) and convert it to the GPA using this conversion that someone posted previously..."

Boy oh boy, if that is the case, my application is not an hopeless case. xD

And neither is yours! Go ahead, work hard,boost your GPA and you're gonna be accepted, I'm sure of it.

By the way, I have a few questions:

I have a small problem. See, my Applied Chemistry mark is incomplete. You see, my lab teacher litterally vanished and never posted our marks for the lab part, which is worth a 1/3 of the class' final mark. As far as the rest of the mark goes, I got 82% out of 66.6.

Is there any way I can let McGill know about this bizarre situation? :eek:

Oh well, I'm gonna have to do another degree or maybe do a Masters anyway, since I made the terrible mistake of taking a class off last semester (I had to work almost full-time, half of that money went to my mother who has the HD disease). Dunno if McGill would ever actually believe me, but that's the official story. :o :o :o

And besides, I need to do more extracurrical activities. I was thinking of applying for a job of research assistant in neurosciences at McGill (which would imply taking a year off between both degrees, but I wouldn't mind). Has here heard of it?

Hey Citan,

sorry to hear that you mother has HD. I hope she is doing well.

I am thinking more and more that I do have a chance at mcgill, but I still frown upon my first year, and its always gonna be there to haunt me. :(

You are interested in neuroscience? that is really cool, I am also interested in neuro... I would really like to specialize in something related to the brain (would like neuro-surgery or even psychiatry).

If I ever decide to do that masters like I was debating originaly, I know it will be in neuro.

Hey that is really sad about your chem class... kinda funny tho :o What is the direction doing about it? did the department chair tell you if the lab mark is going to be removed ? and why would someone just vanish like that... that is strange ... :eek:

are you applying to mcgill this year? I will apply only in a year, I havent written the mcat yet... I hope to get into sherbrooke or other universities before doing the mcat (I'm really afraid of doing the mcat :o )

well good luck to you!

Well, the lab teacher never gave us our marks, and when I sent her an email she told me it was too late. >_>

So they gave me a result according to the group's average: a B+.

I'd love to apply this year, but there's no way I'm gonna be accepted right now. I just completed my first year. Started my second last wednesday. And besides, I need to bring up that average. :P

Neuroscience is an interesting field indeed. Neurosurgery is an awesome profession, but I prefer Cardiovascular surgery (saw three of them during high school, loved them).

I made the terrible mistake of taking a class off last semester (I had to work almost full-time, half of that money went to my mother who has the HD disease). Dunno if McGill would ever actually believe me, but that's the official story. :o :o :o

They will absolutely believe you, and they won't penalize you for it. Just attach a letter from your employer attesting to this fact (I did three semesters of three classes, and two semesters at 4 classes, because I was working full-time, and they accepted it... and me).:)

As for the extracurrics, well... maybe you should beef them up. But hey, application time is January, so why not start something now? You could still apply this jan. for next september!

I was thinking of taking language classes here. I already took Spanish last semester (scored an A+), so I was thinking of taking Advanced Spanish and German. They even give a Signs language class here at Trois-Rivières!

We have a research internship at the end of my degree. They even give dissection classes for medical biology students such as myself (although we have to pay for it).

I tell you, there are numerous extra-currics to do here at UQTR. :P

Oh, and there are several summer pre-med activities for undergraduate students in USA. I should try to apply.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys,

I've read through the entire McGill meds website and called their admissions office. The school seems to make it quite clear that marks from a graduate degree will not be considered for cGPA calculation (a Masters degree will only be looked at as a "personal accomplishment"). So just out of curiosity, why are people on this thread suggesting to do a Masters (after a poor undergraduate showing) if McGill won't even look at graduate marks? I'm confused. Does McGill actually weigh a Masters degree more than they say they do?

-Lady, M.Sc. (and still feeling the pain of poor undergrad marks)

I think its mostly if you get to the interview, and you tell them you have a masters and so forth, that they will consider that in giving you admission. but then again 70% get in after they pass the cut-off. :cool:

For an update on my dilemma, I have finally decided to do a masters. I am working in a lab right now on this wonderful project on neuro-oncology and I will continue that for my masters :) I cant wait. :D

Good to know. I'm sure you'll have a good time. And I'm certain you'll eventually get in. :)

As far as I'm concerned, I decided to finish my three year degree (heck, I'll be done with most pre-reqs required in most North American med schools anyway) and then get a B.A. at Concordia (which will be a FOUR years degree, meaning that I'll be eligible at Northern Ontario if I can take the Honours), so McGill will look at the most recent degree. I'm not sure yet, it will be either Anthropoly or Behavioral Neuroscience at Concordia. Or maybe a B.S. in Agronomy at McGill, I'll decide next year...If things don't work out for me GPA-wise, well there's always Podiatric Medicine...or Carribean med schools.

I was thinking of volunteering and interning overseas inbetween both degrees, just to see if medicine is right for me. I have heard of wonderful opportunities for pre-med in Africa, India, Ecuador...and even London. They get to follow doctors everywhere...Now, I only need a couple of referees to apply....blah, I rarely speak with teachers. :eek:

Hey Citan,

I was thinking about volunteering overseas for the longest time now, but i cannot find an organization that I like. I would really like to work with an organization like doctors without borders, but there are none for premeds (that I know of)... :cool:

Do you have any suggestions? Which organizations let you shadow docs? and can you do it for the summer only?

http://www.rtpnet.org/~intintl/locations/premed.php

This is a 12-weeks internship at pretty much any London hospital of your choice (although they usually have a specific site in mind for these internships). I'm not sure if people from Canada are eligible, but I'll send the director an e-mail just to make sure we're not excluded...I hope we're not, because it looks awesome.

http://www.cfhi.org/

This is a very reliable place for pre-med internships, from what I heard. You can volunteer and/or be an intern. They have international programs in Africa, india, Ecuador (although you obviously need some spanish for this one...), etc... You get to do clinical rotations, follow doctors in surgries and sometimes even get hands-on opportunities. The programs are also for Medical and Nursing students.

I have found more recently...I'll give you more links once I come home *is at the university's library, studying for neurophysiology*...

And by the way, internships can be done at almost any time of the year, not just the summer. The London internship is very flexible in that matter.

QUESTION FOR TRUSTWOMAN: I don't know if you have done CÉGEP here before going to Med school at McGill, but do you know if they look at the CEGEP marks (for the pre-reqs)?

Hey thank you so much!

that is awesome!

The different programs offered by cfhi are incredible. I am very interested in the Amazon comm. medicine in Ecuador ... but the problem is I dont speak spanish at all :( (no habla espanol)

if nothing, there is the Rural Himalayan Rotation in India that seems really interesting. I'm gonna have to look into it.

I was asking if I can do it during the summer, because I want to start my masters early so I can finish it early (hopefully in 1 and 1/2 years).

good luck with neuropsych!

p.s. I dont think they look at your cegep marks... they just check if you passed them or not.

Archived