Premed 101 Forums

What's a full course load? 4 or 5 courses?

tmacgirl

I think that depends on where you are but most places have the same general scheme. A full course-load would be 5 credits, or 15 per term depending on if you're from the east or the west. A full-time student (in terms of funding for loans) generally is only 3 credits or 9 (out west).

So most med schools require you to be registered with a full course-load for most, if not all years in order to consider your grades for acceptance.

As other posters have alluded to, if you are planning to apply to U of T's medical school, and plan to apply the weighting formula to your grades, I would advise that you take five courses per term in the winter session, as this is what the medical school considers to be full time.

Other schools may also require five course per term in the winter session alone or combined with the summer session. To keep your options open, you should take five courses per term. If you are serious about medical school, which is more rigorous than the average undergraduate program, you should be able to handle five courses unless you have extenuating circumstances that prevent you from doing so.

With regards to the U of T weighting formula, I was wondering if you guys knew if the admissions statistics posted on the U of T website are the ones calculated using the formula? Or are they just cumulative GPAs?

The site says "Average Accepted GPA" which was 3.87 for 2005 (seems kind of on the low side considering you can delete a certain number of courses).

I don't know of anything official. It seems most reasonable that they would include the adjusted GPA, as they would already have done that for every applicant, regardless of whether they are accepted.

U of T's medical class ranges from 1/4 to 1/3 graduate students, who may have a lower undergraduate GPA, but comparable graduate GPA, than the average accepted undergraduate applicant.

This information won't affect your ability to change your individual application, of course, but I suppose it gives a measure of insight into the situation.

Archived