Premed 101 Forums

Textbooks for First Year Medicine

Yangs

Hey! Welcome to Ottawa :)

So for D&H there really is no book you could buy that covers the block, since the block covers things from biochem, embryology, histology, anatomy etc.. in order to get everyone on the same page. The course notes are really enough to get you through. If you did your undergrad in something related I would just consult those for clarification if you need it. And if not, just find something in the library.

As for the rest of the blocks. The only book I really recommend is the cardio book by Lily they recommend, it's awesome. It is the only book I really recommend buying. It has everything you need!

Some of the other blocks I bought books (cause I just like to have books sometimes) but I could have done fine without them and other blocks I didn`t buy any books. Just depends on whether you like books or notes and how much you like the subject. In general I found the recommended books OK...though I didn`t care for Immunology for Medical Students. (though I think others may have liked it) It is one of the most annoying books I have ever read...it keeps telling you about what it will tell you or what it did tell you and refer you to other pages in the book. Drives me crazy! When I look something up, I like for it to be all there in the same spot.

• 2 weeks later...

I only bought 2 textbooks my first year at Ottawa.

The cardiology book by Lily (which I didn't use too much)

And the physical exam book by Bates (only because the PSD quiz questions come directly from it).

The course notes (and the objective answers - posted online) will be enough for you to do very well.

Good luck!

Archived