Premed 101 Forums

In Canada, what percentage of applicants are accepted to med school?

nassar88

I am not sure for Canada in general, but in Ontario, this link (http://www.ouac.on.ca/omsas/pdf/b_omsas_e.pdf - see the "Requirements Chart") shows that in 2006 there were 17312 applications from 5577 individuals. I don't know the exact number of spots available for entry in 2006. However, from the same link, there are 806 spots at Ontario medical schools for entry in 2007. I assume there was around the same number for 2006.

Thus, approximately 14% (or 1 in 7) of applicants to Ontario medical schools were successful in gaining admission in 2006.

I am not sure for Canada in general, but in Ontario, this link (http://www.ouac.on.ca/omsas/pdf/b_omsas_e.pdf - see the "Requirements Chart") shows that in 2006 there were 17312 applications from 5577 individuals. I don't know the exact number of spots available for entry in 2006. However, from the same link, there are 806 spots at Ontario medical schools for entry in 2007. I assume there was around the same number for 2006.

Thus, approximately 14% (or 1 in 7) of applicants to Ontario medical schools were successful in gaining admission in 2006.

If you don't want to read through the whole booklet and think pdfs suck--- here are just the straight goods in html for 1975 to 2006.

Definitely wasn't one of our best premieres... but he also wasn't premiere in a time when the economy was all goody-goody. On the bright side, the current Ontario liberals have helped increase the number of med school spaces in Ontario.

STILL - when will they get the picture, and REALLY REALLY increase the number of spots? I think I read a report once that greater than 50% of Canada's family doctors are going to retire in the next 15 years.... that's going to be an exciting time. :rolleyes:

I took Health Economics last year. There was an economist from UBC who felt that the reason that health care costs in Canada were so big was because there were too many doctors. Doctors, he said, were padding their receipts so they could spend more time on the golf greens. (Two of his grad students are doing collaborative work at MacMaster. )

His great idea to decrease the number of doctors was taken to heart by many politicians who felt that they were spending too much on sick citizens. Of course now we're screwed b/c no one can get a doctor....

For the life of me I can't remember the guy's name-if I find my notes I'll let you know. Now it just seems so ridiculous that he would even suggest it.

Archived