Premed 101 Forums

what average is needed

Hello All,

I'm applying to all 3 french schools this winter as a university applicant. and I was wondring if anyone knows what average (in percentage) is considered good. Would an average of 80-85 be considered for admissions, or is that too low?:rolleyes:

Merci

Actually, I think Mart takes his information from a post in the Sherbrooke forum, where I say that it's basically impossible to know what a persons' CEGEP R score will be based on percentage (it depends on the CEGEP, the average, ...), but that it's a pretty safe bet to say that an average >90% will get you an interview (but it's not assured => an average <90 will also get you an interview in a certain number of colleges). I highly doubt he's "in competition" and trying to discourage anyone from applying (considering he's not applying this year, or in a while for that matter, which is pretty clear from his posts)

As for university students, it's impossible to say (they do not look at the GPA, people with 3.6 in pharmacy have gotten in easy, and others with 4.3/4.3 in science/humanities programs have been refused straight out, before submitting any type of document other than grades). The harder your program is to be admitted and the lower the average is, the higher your R score will be if your over average, and higher will your chances be to be interviewed (and accepted). McGill looks at GPA, but not the 3 francophone schools (they really don't care what your average is, they only look at your university R score, and eliminate from there).

Maxime

Actually, I think Mart takes his information from a post in the Sherbrooke forum, where I say that it's basically impossible to know what a persons' CEGEP R score will be based on percentage (it depends on the CEGEP, the average, ...), but that it's a pretty safe bet to say that an average >90% will get you an interview (but it's not assured => an average <90 will also get you an interview in a certain number of colleges). I highly doubt he's "in competition" and trying to discourage anyone from applying (considering he's not applying this year, or in a while for that matter, which is pretty clear from his posts)

As for university students, it's impossible to say (they do not look at the GPA, people with 3.6 in pharmacy have gotten in easy, and others with 4.3/4.3 in science/humanities programs have been refused straight out, before submitting any type of document other than grades). The harder your program is to be admitted and the lower the average is, the higher your R score will be if your over average, and higher will your chances be to be interviewed (and accepted). McGill looks at GPA, but not the 3 francophone schools (they really don't care what your average is, they only look at your university R score, and eliminate from there).

Maxime

Relax. I was just curious! I'm still in highschool:o

.....As for university students, it's impossible to say (they do not look at the GPA, people with 3.6 in pharmacy have gotten in easy, and others with 4.3/4.3 in science/humanities programs have been refused straight out, before submitting any type of document other than grades). The harder your program is to be admitted and the lower the average is, the higher your R score will be if your over average, and higher will your chances be to be interviewed (and accepted). McGill looks at GPA, but not the 3 francophone schools (they really don't care what your average is, they only look at your university R score, and eliminate from there).

So how would i go about finding out my own CRU score then? Am i supposed to call my school? i saw on their website that the last CRC score accepted this year was 33.60, but they don't mention any CRU average...can anyone shed some light??

Thanks

Unfortunately, the only place you can know your exact R score is at Laval University, if you study there. They explain how to calculate it, give you the forumulas and you just need to insert a few numbers (which they give you). You can also see examples of different R scores for different programs on there website.

If you do not go to Laval, it's pretty much impossible to know your score in advance (Monteal tells you, but only after you've applied). When I applied a while ago, I found that my R score was pretty much the same at the 3 universities (Montreal and Sherbrooke was higher (point or two) than Laval), but others on this forum have said that in their case, there was a big difference, so it may depend on where you go, and what you study.

You can probably call your school, ask for your Rscore, and they'll probably give it to you. This score will not be the same at the other universities however (it will only be good for the university in which you're presently studying).

Maxime

Hi guys

First of all, i want to say that the last thing i wanted to do is discourage people from applying. Like Maxime said, i took this information on another post on this forum. For the average needed, i was talking about poeple applying from Cegep here in Quebec. I have no idea of the average needed if you apply from University.

I called 2 Cegep here in my area, and ask what would be a good average to get an interview, 1 said between 92% and 95% and the other was less specific and said over 90%.

Correct me if i am wrong, but for the first pre-selection, they only look at the CRC (again for those applying from Cegep), so the interview and aps will only count afterward.

• 3 weeks later...
Unfortunately, the only place you can know your exact R score is at Laval University, if you study there. They explain how to calculate it, give you the forumulas and you just need to insert a few numbers (which they give you). You can also see examples of different R scores for different programs on there website.

If you do not go to Laval, it's pretty much impossible to know your score in advance (Monteal tells you, but only after you've applied). When I applied a while ago, I found that my R score was pretty much the same at the 3 universities (Montreal and Sherbrooke was higher (point or two) than Laval), but others on this forum have said that in their case, there was a big difference, so it may depend on where you go, and what you study.

You can probably call your school, ask for your Rscore, and they'll probably give it to you. This score will not be the same at the other universities however (it will only be good for the university in which you're presently studying).

What about English universities? How do you figure out R score from those?

Just curious.

WhiteTiger and AMMD,

Yes, if you apply to any francophone university, your GPA will be converted into an R-Score. You can see how they calculate it on Laval and UdeM website (the forumula is always similar, but the values change). However, it's impossible to calculate it by yourself, unless that is if you know the average of your program for the last 5 years, the standard derivation of this average and the average R-score (from CEGEP) from people in your program (which is pretty unlikely that someone would know such things, which is why you can't calculate it on your own). The calculation is based on statistical forumulas (Z score, the R score is simply a Z score, with a simple adjustment based on the strength of your program). You can see the basis of the Z score in any statistics manual.

The purpose of the R-score is to see how "better than the average you are", while taking into consideration if the people in your class are strong or weak (so, an average GPA from pharmacy will be worth much more than an average from social science, where people normally didn't have as high an R-score in CEGEP).

Maxime

• 1 month later...

I faced the "I-dont-know-my-CRU" problem earlier this year, and here's how I got my answer.

1. Apply for the fall semester 2006 in another restricted program (in my case Économie et Sciences Politiques).

2. Get accepted.

3. Then call, send emails to get your CRU. You have to know that these CRU are only calculated by the university you apply to. So your CRU doesn't exist before you apply. Moreover, it can change from year to year, because its value is based partly on the results of the people that are in your program, from year to year.

So I got it : 33,9 for a "bac non-connexe" (Études françaises). I got also the information that the last person admitted last year had a 32,6 CRU in my category (bac non-connexe). My GPA was 3,9 on 4,3.

Hope that helps...

T.

• 2 weeks later...

Les programmes connexes sont ceux qui équivalent a l'année préparatoire. Ceux qui viennent d'un programme connexe font leur doctorat en 4 ans (sans année préparatoire).

Ceux qui viennent d'un prgramme non connexe, doivent faire l'année préparatoire. Donc le doctorat est en 5ans.

Le programmes connexes sont ceux qui sont dans le domaine de la santé.

Voici une liste des programmes connexes:

Baccalauréat en audiologie

Baccalauréat en biochimie

Baccalauréat en ergothérapie

Baccalauréat en nutrition

Baccalauréat en orthophonie

Baccalauréat en pharmacie

Baccalauréat en physiothérapie

Baccalauréat en sciences biologiques

Baccalauréat en sciences biomédicales

Baccalauréat en sciences infirmières

Doctorat en médecine dentaire

Doctorat en médecine vétérinaire

Doctorat en optométrie

D'autres programmes pourraient être jugés équivalents après étude du dossier.

http://www.etudes.umontreal.ca/index_fiche_prog/145040_desc.html

Archived