Premed 101 Forums

CaRMS servers last year?

Kirsteen

Hi there,

Given that our CaRMS application deadline is approaching, I was interested in hearing how things went last year for the CaRMS applicants. Were there many problems with the servers last year? (I recall hearing something about some bumps along the way.) If so, roughly how long before the application deadline did anything begin? (I'm not trying to be a lazy wee bugger as my application is complete and has been submitted for a while, but curious in case some last minute tweaks are in order, and hoping to gather a bit of insight to judge whether it would be worth it to reopen the application.)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

I don't recall there being too many bugs last year at least not in my experience. There was definately a slowdown the day before the deadline and sometimes saving things at that time took quite sometime (I remember around 30 mins at times). If you submit 1 day early it should be pretty smooth sailing. The worst time for delay for CaRMS last year was opening up results on match day. I remember trying to log in for 20 mins. and then when I finally got in it took 20 mins for the results screen to come up (probably lost at least 2 years off of my life in those 40 minutes). Good luck with CaRMS this year.

I don't recall there being too many bugs last year at least not in my experience. There was definately a slowdown the day before the deadline and sometimes saving things at that time took quite sometime (I remember around 30 mins at times). If you submit 1 day early it should be pretty smooth sailing. The worst time for delay for CaRMS last year was opening up results on match day. I remember trying to log in for 20 mins. and then when I finally got in it took 20 mins for the results screen to come up (probably lost at least 2 years off of my life in those 40 minutes). Good luck with CaRMS this year.

Hey there kosmo,

Ta for the match day tip. I'll have to ensure that there's lots of diversions around on that day during that wait. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

I found that the problems always started within about 12 hours of a deadline. In the last four hours... forget it. It would take >20 min to login and usually ~30 min to save anything. And, with multi-layered saves needed to submit something, this was a little panic-inducing.

I would suggest that you submit the day before any deadline and then don't touch it again. Resist the urge to 'check' anything on the day of the deadline. Print the screen when you submit...

I too had issues with match day. I couldn't log on for >30 minutes and then it took about 10 minutes to load the match screen. You will need some strong diversions to keep yourself calm if that happens again this year.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey,

Just for fun, I went onto the CaRMS website a few minutes ago and it seems as though all is going well this year re: server speed. Unlike some of the stories from last year, it took about 20 seconds to log-in as opposed to 20 minutes. Hopefully that's a sign of good things and good CaRMA to come. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Hey,

I always found that the CaRMS web server handled the volume pretty well. On Match Day, I logged in right at noon, actually about a quarter after twelve- I was reading something random on the internet which was more interesting that CaRMS when the clock struck noon- and it only took me about 2 minutes or so to get on and get my result.

CaRMS was pretty amazing today. Logged in this morning just fine. Even logged in around 11h45 and speed was fine. Yay! Dunno if that means everyone was just all done before! But even at 12h15, i was still able to be in the system. Weird. Officially closed now though..yayyyyy...so glad it's all over.

On to interviews.

Archived