Premed 101 Forums

Surgery and shaky hands?

Hey,

I'm in M1 and am interested in surgery...however, I've noticed my left hand is quite shaky (esp after heavy lifting or exertion)...my right is fine...it's not like affecting my life or anything (it's not like I can't put a spoon to my mouth), but now I've become obsessive about it and continously try to "test" myself by trying to bring my fingers as close together w/out touching as possible and other tests of "shakiness" i've come up with...

Is this something I should consider in deciding? I know I'm not going for plastics or optho, but I was thinking along the lines of ortho...any thoughts would be appreciated.

I can't get my mind off it!

Cheers,

spade

Hi there,

If you're a UofT medical student then you can go to the surgical training center at Mount Sinai to use some of the implements and see whether or not this would be a true impediment. Otherwise, why don't you do some surgical shadowing with a surgeon who will let you do some things, e.g., suturing. (You can practice your knot-tying in advance. Actually Ethicon (the suture supplier) will courier a very good knot-tying board to you if you contact them.)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Hey Kirsteen,

That makes sense...thanks for the response! We actually had a session on suturing (with pigs' feet) and it went totally fine...but I guess there's more to surgery than just suturing, right?

I think in the past few weeks I've become more obsessive about it. And the more I think about it, the worse it gets...but I'll definitely follow up with your suggestion.

Thanks again.

spade

I wouldn't worry about it, unless you had major tremors affecting your daily activities. I know absolutely nothing about surgery skills, but I've told countless times by surgeons (attendings and residents) that anyone can become a surgeon. It all comes through years of practice and teaching.

btw- I was just wondering how I could go about getting the knot-tying board?

Thanks.

Do what I did: contact Ethicon (via their website) and request a board. Amazingly, a representative will respond to your request quickly and they'll most probably courier a board (and book) out to you. (If you're keen on any specialty that requires suturing and need the practice, you'll enjoy the board. I used it quite a bit to hone my knot-tying skills this year.)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Hey Kirsteen,

That makes sense...thanks for the response! We actually had a session on suturing (with pigs' feet) and it went totally fine...but I guess there's more to surgery than just suturing, right?

I think in the past few weeks I've become more obsessive about it. And the more I think about it, the worse it gets...but I'll definitely follow up with your suggestion.

Thanks again.

spade

Hi there,

Regarding this, we have a professor--a retired surgeon--who has Tourette's syndrome. His illness included a full arm and shoulder tic that, you would think, would prohibit his ability to perform surgery. However, tales have been told that although he has this tic exterior to the OR, when he entered the OR and got to work, it disappeared. Additionally, he's a certified pilot. Likewise, he has no problems taking control of a plane. Goes to show you that you just never know until you're in there doing the job.

Try to take your mind off what you might think is a problem and, instead, focus on getting exposed to see if you actually like the work that surgeons do. Then make your career decisions from there.

Kirsteen

Hey everyone,

Thanks for your responses! I think I was being a bit compulsive about it, as it has never affected me in any daily (or non-daily) activites whatsoever...I've even done electives in surgery and it hasn't affected that either (in fact I never thought about it at the moment as there's so much other stuff to think about!)...it was usually after hitting the gym that I noticed my fingers to be a bit shakier than normal, and i was hoping that my dreams of surgery don't get shattered cuz of a trembling pinky or something. :)

I contacted Ethicon and sure enough, a rep contacted me regarding the board...quite amazing I must say.

Thanks again.

Cheers,

spade

it was usually after hitting the gym that I noticed my fingers to be a bit shakier than normal

oh well, of course your fingers will be abit shakier after the gym. It's a natural physiological reaction to have a bit of weakness and instability after you've pumped all that iron!

Perhaps just don't go bench pressing 800 lbs right before surgery....

Hey everyone,

Thanks for your responses! I think I was being a bit compulsive about it, as it has never affected me in any daily (or non-daily) activites whatsoever...I've even done electives in surgery and it hasn't affected that either (in fact I never thought about it at the moment as there's so much other stuff to think about!)...it was usually after hitting the gym that I noticed my fingers to be a bit shakier than normal, and i was hoping that my dreams of surgery don't get shattered cuz of a trembling pinky or something. :)

I contacted Ethicon and sure enough, a rep contacted me regarding the board...quite amazing I must say.

Thanks again.

Cheers,

spade

Spade,

May I ask who you contacted at Ethicon? I tried contacting them and they said they were out of boards and they were working on getting new boards for sometime later in 2007.

If you could let me know either here or by PM that would be great.

Thanks

Sats

Spade,

May I ask who you contacted at Ethicon? I tried contacting them and they said they were out of boards and they were working on getting new boards for sometime later in 2007.

If you could let me know either here or by PM that would be great.

Thanks

Sats

Hey,

Sure...I filled out this form online: (https://jnjgateway.com/home.jhtml?loc=CAENG&page=repLocator&nodekey=/Contact_Us/Rep_Locator)

A rep named "Pierre" contacted me the next day (I think based on my location). He told me to give him an address to ship to, and that was it...

Maybe it depends on your location?...(I'm in the gta)..

spade

oh well, of course your fingers will be abit shakier after the gym. It's a natural physiological reaction to have a bit of weakness and instability after you've pumped all that iron!

Perhaps just don't go bench pressing 800 lbs right before surgery....

See, I was thinking about this...why does this happen particularly after "working-out"? And could working out regularly possibly make it worse?

...and if it's something to do with the adrenaline or sympathetic response, when one's in surgery or under high stress situations, wouldn't the same mechanism affect them? (although I must say I haven't noticed it while studying for an exam or something)...

(sorry, might be a "dumb" question but we haven't covered it yet)...

See, I was thinking about this...why does this happen particularly after "working-out"? And could working out regularly possibly make it worse?

...and if it's something to do with the adrenaline or sympathetic response, when one's in surgery or under high stress situations, wouldn't the same mechanism affect them? (although I must say I haven't noticed it while studying for an exam or something)...

(sorry, might be a "dumb" question but we haven't covered it yet)...

I don't completely remember - it's been a while since I've taken ex phys, but this is what I do remember: Heat cramps occur after intense physical activity - basically muscle spasms due to an imbalance of electrolytes (remedy - replenish electrolytes as you work out/after you work out). Also DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) occurs - minute tears in muscle tissue (from weight training or overstretching) resulting in muscle spasms, weakness and pain lasting for up to a few days (remedy - less resistance (not an option if that's what you're going for), or time). I would say, depending on what exercises you're doing, that it's probably a combo of both of these.

• 4 weeks later...

I was observing a prominent surgeon at a Toronto hospital and during the procedure he said something like "There are very few surgeons who don't have some tremor, and the vast majority of them are slow." Needless to say he was doing a procedure which was fairly time-sensitive.

Archived