Premed 101 Forums

Cutoffs? (When will they be posted?)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Can you believe they went down?!

Might have something to do with the recent and repeated long runs through the post-interview waitlist. This might be a way to expand the pool, so to speak - maybe?

Certainly my impression over the last 4 years has been that if there is a choice, more often than not people don't want to go to Queen's, or maybe it's Kingston. Who knows for sure....

Anyone have any word if this means they're actually interviewing MORE people this year? Is this a fluke of the applicant pool this year?

cheers

K

I don't think they're interviewing more ppl.

Having a higher cutoff for PS and BS prob. offsets having a lower overall score since u can't compensate for a 9 in one of those sections with a higher score in the other.

Plus the WS went up which is going to eliminate applicants from the pool.

It might be Kingston :P

I couldn't spend another 4 years here.

Lol. I spent 12 at Queen's and I am hoping for the opportunity to go for another 4!! The very best thing about Queen's University is Kingston. The very best thing about Kingston is that the majority of undergrad (incl medical) students leave at the end of April and are gone until the end of August!!! Best times of my life...

Guest mdhopefully
Yes, although I'm told by some people on ad com that there are some cases in which people who just miss the cutoffs are granted interviews.

anyone know if this has actually happened? or is this for special consideration people?

thanks

ps: i missed the cut-offs with an nice O instead of the P......wasnt expecting this seemingly odd cut off changes

Yes, although I'm told by some people on ad com that there are some cases in which people who just miss the cutoffs are granted interviews.

I don't know where you heard this, but it certainly didn't apply to me, as I surpassed the MCAT cutoffs last year, but had a cumulative GPA of 3.67 (cutoff was 3.68).

I think that only applies to grad applicants. On the queen's med website, it says something to the effect that grad applicants who meet the mcat cutoff, but do not meet, but are close to, the gpa cutoff, they'll have their file reviewed and an interview can be granted based on that review.

anyone know if this has actually happened? or is this for special consideration people?

thanks

ps: i missed the cut-offs with an nice O instead of the P......wasnt expecting this seemingly odd cut off changes

I was just told that there were people who had 9 on VS and still received interviews last year (when the cutoff was 10). Who knows, maybe they had 15 15 T or something.

I got O too :(

It's conceivable that after the cutoffs are applied that they could hand out a few extra invites (for example to those grad students who don't quite make the GPA req).

I was just told that there were people who had 9 on VS and still received interviews last year (when the cutoff was 10). Who knows, maybe they had 15 15 T or something.

I got O too :(

It's conceivable that after the cutoffs are applied that they could hand out a few extra invites (for example to those grad students who don't quite make the GPA req).

Who was it that told you some people with 9 on VR still received an interviewed last year?

So just to clarify... everyone who makes the cut-offs receives an interview. regardless of the rest of their application? And the number interviewed is usually around 450?

Yeah. The cutoff's are designed to cut the applicants down to about 450. Decisions are based on something like 50% interview, 25% sketch, 25% references/extra currics, with the MCAT being used to separate equal scores.

Who was it that told you some people with 9 on VR still received an interviewed last year?

I really don't remember her name, and I can't seem to navigate too well through the queen's website. It might just have been her encouraging me to apply/trying to get me to worry less.

Sorry I don't want people to take my comments TOO seriously, after all I'm only a stranger on the internet!

Guest mdhopefully

a41....yeah that P cutoff shocked me....i figured they wouldnt stress too much over 2 half hour essays and maybe look at the abs questions which took hours....but whatever....ad coms always come up with new creative hoops to jump through

Archived