Premed 101 Forums

Cutoffs? (When will they be posted?)

Maybe I should scan my letter :cool: but I'd rather do it if it's an invitation and not a rejection.

Anyway ... I'll quote part of it here :

In order to receive an invitation for interview your GPA and MCAT scores must have been at or above our academic cutoffs. This year's requirements were 3.68 for the cumulative converted grade point averages of undergraduate studies or 3.78 for the most recent two full-time years. The MCAT requirement for this year was a sum of 30 with no score lower than 10 in physical science and biological science, 10 on verbal reasoning and not less than P on the Writing Sample.

I got 34O (9 on verbal), so I knew I didn't make the cutoff. Anyway, i think the requirement stated in the letter is in sync with what they published on the website earlier.

Fishy

P.S. u can see on the upper right ;) I'm in Ottawa

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's correct, Admissions has clearly stated that grad applicants *must* meet the full MCAT cutoffs. GPA seems to be a more woolly issue and the info on Queen's admissions website offers sweet FA into the detailed workings of the grad subcommittee. I have been told: "undergrad GPA really won't matter very much and bear much weight in the grad applicant assessment by the subcttee" and "undergrad marks must show a trend toward improvement, including where relevant, graduate level coursework" and "graduate productivity and achievements will be used to determine suitability"....maybe it is ALL of that, I don't know and good luck actually finding out!! In any event, Admissions has let me know that they were in the process of preparing letters as of last week and anticipate delivery in the first full week of Feb. Soon, folks!

Cheers,

km

It seems you're right on the money with this. To add my 2 cents, I am also a grad student, and I was offered an interview this time around. My undergrad GPA doesn't come anywhere close to the requirements.

MCAT: 10/10/10/P

Waterloo Systems Design Engineering

OMSAS GPA: 3.47

Last 2 years: 3.65

Grad courses: haven't calculated but 3.7+

Lots of ECs, etc. So it would seem that as long as the MCAT cutoff is made, there is much more latitude in the GPAs for graduate applicants.

Hope this helps somewhat.

Archived