Premed 101 Forums

Cutoffs? (When will they be posted?)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was just told that there were people who had 9 on VS and still received interviews last year (when the cutoff was 10). Who knows, maybe they had 15 15 T or something.

I got O too :(

It's conceivable that after the cutoffs are applied that they could hand out a few extra invites (for example to those grad students who don't quite make the GPA req).

I had a 9 in VR...didn't meet the cutoffs because of one lousy point...but I didn't get an interview...if people with 9's got interviews last year..that makes me really mad!!!!! Oh well....

Again, YES if you meet the cutoffs you automatically get an interview!

Wrt to a previous post...My impression is that ALL med schools have to dig deep into their waitlists. Many applicants get into at least 2 schools and everyone has their own personal reasons for choosing one school over another.

Most of the people who turn down Queen's are those who have already spend 4 years in Kingston and would like a change of scenery. I know a number of people in my class who were accepted to several med schools and chose to come here for a variety of reasons. I, for one, don't regret my decision at all.

• 3 weeks later...

Contrary to what a lot of people are saying, I don't think Queen's cutoffs went down. Well in theory they did, a combined score of 30 is definitely lower than a combined score of 32, there's no arguing that. However, their minimum writing sample requirement went up, and keep in mind that the writing sample presents a major hurdle for many (come on, is it really that easy to write two quality essays on a topic you don't know about on the spot? Yes, it may be easy for you, but maybe not your nextdoor neighbor).

Contrary to what a lot of people are saying, I don't think Queen's cutoffs went down. Well in theory they did, a combined score of 30 is definitely lower than a combined score of 32, there's no arguing that. However, their minimum writing sample requirement went up, and keep in mind that the writing sample presents a major hurdle for many (come on, is it really that easy to write two quality essays on a topic you don't know about on the spot? Yes, it may be easy for you, but maybe not your nextdoor neighbor).

Makes sense. I agree.

It is nice to see that I am not out of the running. I hope that this holds true for next year. It is tough to be too hopeful when you have some many bright people such as yourselves around you. Queens is definately up there on my list, just hope to get an interview this coming go round.

This is completely unrelated to the thread, but rather than creating a new one, I figured it's easier to post here. Does anyone know whether Queen's sends out notifications via e-mail or snail mail? When would they send out these notifications? I checked the OMSAS documentation and there's no notification date in the timeline. I may be missing something obvious...

In recent years Queen's has sent out rejections and interview invites by mail (I have received paper for last 2 years); offers of admission post interview, and of course the thinvelopes telling you that you are waitlisted were also paper. I do recall however that Queen's has just recently (as in last year, not sure about earlier) started sending out emails in advance of the offers, if you were to get one.

As I recall, interview notices were out at the end of Jan; grad student applicants usually hear a bit later (by about 2 weeks or so, depending on your geography)

K

Yea, im in the same boat with a 9.

It's quite obvious that overall MCAT performance and academics are not as important as the verbal section itself in Admissions at western, queens, calgary, etc.

Oh well.

Sorry to hear about your predicament. But I don't agree that verbal is the most important section - if you'd missed the (Queen's) cutoffs due to an O in writing, then WS would be most important.

• 2 weeks later...
I think that only applies to grad applicants. On the queen's med website, it says something to the effect that grad applicants who meet the mcat cutoff, but do not meet, but are close to, the gpa cutoff, they'll have their file reviewed and an interview can be granted based on that review.

Does anyone know if grad files are reviewed only in cases of below cutoff GPA? What if a grad student meets the GPA cutoff and the MCAT sum score but has a 9 in one section? Is it possible that we get reviewed too??

Does anyone know if grad files are reviewed only in cases of below cutoff GPA? What if a grad student meets the GPA cutoff and the MCAT sum score but has a 9 in one section? Is it possible that we get reviewed too??

Sorry eise, but Queen's requires that students meet both the individual cutoff marks for the mcat (10/10/10) and the sum cutoff (30). A 9 in any section means that you did not meet the cutoff.

That's correct, Admissions has clearly stated that grad applicants *must* meet the full MCAT cutoffs. GPA seems to be a more woolly issue and the info on Queen's admissions website offers sweet FA into the detailed workings of the grad subcommittee. I have been told: "undergrad GPA really won't matter very much and bear much weight in the grad applicant assessment by the subcttee" and "undergrad marks must show a trend toward improvement, including where relevant, graduate level coursework" and "graduate productivity and achievements will be used to determine suitability"....maybe it is ALL of that, I don't know and good luck actually finding out!! In any event, Admissions has let me know that they were in the process of preparing letters as of last week and anticipate delivery in the first full week of Feb. Soon, folks!

Cheers,

km

That's correct, Admissions has clearly stated that grad applicants *must* meet the full MCAT cutoffs. GPA seems to be a more woolly issue and the info on Queen's admissions website offers sweet FA into the detailed workings of the grad subcommittee. I have been told: "undergrad GPA really won't matter very much and bear much weight in the grad applicant assessment by the subcttee" and "undergrad marks must show a trend toward improvement, including where relevant, graduate level coursework" and "graduate productivity and achievements will be used to determine suitability"....maybe it is ALL of that, I don't know and good luck actually finding out!! In any event, Admissions has let me know that they were in the process of preparing letters as of last week and anticipate delivery in the first full week of Feb. Soon, folks!

Cheers,

km

Aren't the letters e-mailed and not snail-mailed?

I don't actually know for certain. I was told "letters" which will be received by the 2st full week of Feb; for interviews and pre-interview rejections, Queen's has issued paper in snail mail; last year (and maybe the year before??) they sent emails in advance of the paper for an offer of admission in May. No big matter anyway cuz it doesn't necessarily mean they'll get em out any faster!

km

Archived