Premed 101 Forums

U of T admissions - UPDATE

Hey folks,

got my DAT scores......BLEH!

I knew I wouldnt too well, didnt start studying until late september with minimum commitment.

Anyhow got,

Bio - 20

Chem - 20

PAT - 15

RC - 16

AA - 19

Carving - let's not even go there ...this was so low it's embarassing.

GPA: Avg. according to U of T scale OMSAS scale --> 3.72 (3 best years).

As a reminder, I am a graduate applicant who also provides a reference letter along with my admissions package.

I see my chances for all other schools already dwindled (UBC), and dwindling (UWO). The only school I think I have an honest shot at is U of T. This is subject to change too though based on all the incredibly, well-deserved high scores by other posters.

Any comments? Much appreciated.

Happy Holidays

Hey Mkmkhan,

Well I think you are probably correct. By reading the other posts Western really values the reading comprehension score. So I think an interview will be doubtful. U of T is hard to say. The website says that you needed a 3.7 for an interview last year. It may go up this year considering an increase in the number of applicants. I would strongly advise that you consider writing the test over. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to add a comment. If you have completed a graduate degree ur chances may be better than you think. Especially at UofT because now they are starting to lean more in favor of graduate applicants since in the many previous years there haven't been many grad applicants, and as UFT they like people with research experience. So yah, I'd say you have a decent chance.

i think about 3 grads got in last year...

BTW, how's your research track anyways? (i.e. publications, presentations etc...)

Cheers, :)

Just wanted to add a comment. If you have completed a graduate degree ur chances may be better than you think. Especially at UofT because now they are starting to lean more in favor of graduate applicants since in the many previous years there haven't been many grad applicants, and as UFT they like people with research experience. So yah, I'd say you have a decent chance.

i think about 3 grads got in last year...

BTW, how's your research track anyways? (i.e. publications, presentations etc...)

Cheers, :)

What about undergraduates with research experience?

What about undergraduates with research experience?

They don't look at that on paper and pen application but certainly during the interview when the question pops up about "what other experiences and/or qualifications do u have that make u fit for UofT's program"....

...and BANG! pop in your research story....this faculty is research intense .......

so if u have research, great....but it's not required....

Hey U of T dents,

Happy New Year to you Dude and all other posters here!

Thanks for the message.

Im pretty much hoping the fact that I am a graduate applicant carries some weight.

I am a co-author on a JBC paper that has been submitted and almost nearly accepted (I'm sure my supervisor reference letter mentioned this) along with an abstract that my name is on. It's not stellar but, I think its sufficient for an MSc.

Remember, we don't have a grad package or a CV that we can hand in like U of T meds. This means papers, presentations etc are a secondary to grades. I still need to make the GPA cutoff no matter what as Grad applicants don't have a separate GPA pool they are evaluated in.

I checked last year's DAT scores.

TOTAL APPLICANT POOL

Mean DAT Scores (0-30 range): Academic Average (AA): 20

Perceptual Ability Test (PAT): 18

TOTAL REGISTERED STUDENTS

Mean DAT Scores: Academic Average (AA): 21 {Range: 16-25}

Perceptual Ability Test (PAT): 19 {Range: 14-25}

My DAT scores AA = 20 and PAT = 15 fall in that range so...basically, along with my GPA 3.72, I am barely hanging on. Damn....4 yrs ago, that would be be considered a sub-stellar GPA.

Anyways, G'luck to y'all...I wonder when we're going hear back from there.

Hi there,

When you say that applicants with graduate degrees may have a decent chance at U of T do you mean that they may take applicants with slightly lower GPA or DAT scores? My GPA is about 3.7 which isnt really competitive compared to those getting in (3.8+) so I was wondering if my grad degree may help me overcome my lower GPA? Thanks in advance.

Hey Tristan,

3.7 is not a low GPA. That's a competitive GPA. If you have a 3.7 going into this application cyle, don't lose hope.

Remember, last year you would've gotten an interview no matter what as long as you met that 3.7 cut off. I don't think it is going to fluctuate much this year. When I handed in my application, I asked the lady if she got many more applications than last year ...Her rough estimate was that it was about the same. So, STAY POSITIVE!!!!

I think as a graduate student applying to dentistry.....sadly, you NEED to make through the marks cut-off. Everybody is seen as equal as there is no special applicant category. So, a lower GPA because you're a graduate applicant is not good enough for them.

Hope that helped.

Archived